Author: freakyqi

which is more important, love or money POLL [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-9 05:39:06 |Display all floors
Freaky, I voted, but with reservations because I think the alternatives outlined are too restrictive.  The choices are only between no money  "married to someone I am truly in love with forever" and money but "no true love".  The first choice seems like a fairy tale "lived happily ever after" ending, while the second seems like selfish desolation.  Life is so much more complicated than that.

Some people are "couple people" who feel incomplete if they are not half of a couple with their spouse or lover.  Others find their main life satisfaction from sources other than a spouse of lover.  They may be more comfortable flying alone and feel weighted down and frustrated by the constant allowances that have to be made for a partner.  There are probably more "couple people", but I think that most fall somewhere in between, with their feelings changing over time.

How many feel the same about a spouse at 60 as they did at 25?  How many thought they were marrying their One True Love but realized that they might have been more compatible with someone else?  How many are devastated for the rest of their life by the loss of a partner?  How many move on from a separation to blossom more than ever before?

My point is that life can't be reduced to a simple alternative.  It is constantly changing, requiring us to continually shift our balance.

That said, it will be interesting to see if men and women answer differently.  I have long suspected that men harbor more romantic illusions than women, and that women are more pragmatic and down-to-earth, maybe because they  usually have to deal with more of the day-to-day unromantic nitty gritty of bearing and raising a family.
A cynic is a dissapointed idealist.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-9 06:01:13 |Display all floors
Although I value money, I have had enough of it yet been lonely to appreciate that it cannot buy you happiness. Love is more important.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-9 07:17:53 |Display all floors
I don't know which one is better, before any real conclusion I have to experience both.
Waiting for summer :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-9 07:31:22 |Display all floors
I have money and live upperclass and I would give it all away to find true love again, money will never buy true love.
There are no Ugly women , only those with low self esteem .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-9 10:16:46 |Display all floors
love,love,love>
so you know my reply now?
Time for GCT!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-9 10:40:55 |Display all floors
Aww, such sweet romatic guys here! I admit I'm a little surprised so far. You guys are willing to be poor for your love!!!

Diogenes, of course it's not realistic, silly boy.
I want to force people to choose. I'm sure most people would want both. And I'm glad to hear from a couple guys who said they've had (or have) money and would give it up. I don't think choice A is a Happily Ever After thing, because you'd be POOR, broke, struggling. You might have to sleep with a bucket catching water from the hole in the roof of your self-made shack so the dripping water didn't turn your dirt floor to mud. To some people, choice B might be happily every after - a nice house, nice car, buy anything you want, take vacations... Choice A taking a vacation? Their vacations would be to the nearest free park to look at some flowers they can't have at home because they're too expensive and the water must be spared for human use only.
Choice B could have a gardener make it so she didn't have to leave her house to see pretty flowers.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-9 10:51:06 |Display all floors
i cant vote it ,love and money cant alternative, as tempax said "he cannot accept this love.
I know why ,
because in Chinese custom ,if the boy accept this love ,he will afford this girls life ,
As we know ,life is not only base on love, but also involve money ,social position. and so on ,
in china ,may be somebody love each other .but they cant marriage for many reason, money and social station is important reason , there is important concept ”the marriage base on the both family must have equal social position”  (men dang hu dui )

cheers

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.