Author: xieyang

religious differences between East and West (let the images speak) [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-9 06:57:00 |Display all floors

to #6

I think that's probably because Muslims are not supposed to make images of Muhammed.

As for violence in Christianity, yes, I agree it's a problem. But I don't think it was always that way. In general, I prefer Buddhism. Still, I think Christianity done right (it is a very compassionate religion if done properly), as opposed to how it's done today, is not all bad.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-9 15:41:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by whiteehorse at 2007-1-8 14:36
i know is kind to us ,but i don't like western religon,it looks crude.

i agree with you!

i like Chinese culture.

http://www.foreignercn.com/bbs/index.php?fromuid=568

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-9 16:04:54 |Display all floors
....no need of those pictures to tell the differences, they're totally different to begin with....so...the point is..?

Hi, Superkylin, these pictures are comparable in the sense that

1. the first group both show the centual figure of the religion, as he is normally seen by their worshippers: Christ nailed to the cross, reduced to skin and bone, and bleeding from all wounds, whereas Buddha stands (or sits) "comfortably", and often with a smile on his lips.

2. the second group both show the divinity as having passed away: Christ again with all the pains of death, whereas Buddha looks as if he has just fallen into sound sleep.

So it appears to me that Christianity has a tendency to "target" the vulnerability of human feelings. Whereas Buddhism invites us to meditate and leave our own thoughts and feelings behind.

But my purpose was not to make a judgment. Rather I wanted to ask: Why this difference? Why such obsession with emotions, and in particular human emotions on the one hand and on the other hand such "indifference"?

[ Last edited by xieyang at 2007-1-9 04:06 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-9 16:14:43 |Display all floors

Exactly, no images

Originally posted by sockmonkey at 2007-1-9 06:57
I think that's probably because Muslims are not supposed to make images of Muhammed ...

No statues, paintings or other images of God or any messengers, only the Message:

"God is the Light of the heavens and the earth;
the likeness of His Light is as a niche wherein is a lamp
(the lamp in a glass, the glass as it were a glittering star)
kindled from a Blessed Tree
an olive that is neither of the East nor of the West
whose oil is well-nigh luminous, though fire scarce touched it;

Light upon Light!

God guides to His Light whom He will.
And God speaks to mankind in symbols
for God is knower of all things.

:)
"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-31 19:24:54 |Display all floors

Reply #4 whiteehorse's post

Crude?  How so?  Because of western religion's belief in duality?  Elaborate please.
Individuality: Always Remember That You Are Unique.  Just Like Everybody Else.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2007-1-31 19:38:22 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pandamonium at 2007-1-8 15:03
Dubai and Oman etc are countries with Islam as their main religion and almost everyone fasts, gives to charity, prays every day and makes a conscious effort to follow islamic tradition..

It appears you have lived there.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-31 19:57:06 |Display all floors
All the major religions are good at the core, and mean well. It's the practitioners that distort them. Christianity may have done cruel things, but do you think that's really the main idea of christianity and Jesus's intentions? No, it was humans who did those things. Just like there are terrorists who claim to follow Islam but through their violence are actually going against true Islam. The problem is not the religion themselves, it's how people interpret & misinterpret them and twist them to their own advantage.

I'm no expert on religion, that's all just my view.

It's true that there is a lot of guilt in Catholicism, I was raised mildly Catholic as a child (I'm not christian now), and the idea of everyone being a sinner can be a tough idea to deal with. But Buddhism says we are all born into suffering. That was a tough idea for me at first too. If you can understand one of those, then maybe you can try to understand the other int he same way.

Buddhism says we are all held back by desire, attachment, worldly things and pleasures, and we should try to let go of the attachment to these things.
Catholicism says we are born sinners, and will always be tempted and must work hard to overcome our unhealthy desires and pleasures.
Those two can be seen as similar if you like.

One thing about Catholicism that doesn't work for me is the necessity to confess your sins. In Buddhism and some other religions you can forgive yourself, but in Catholicism you should be forgiven by a priest. It's not a big deal really, in both cases you are encouraged to let your mistakes go and move on, trying harder next time. I personally don't think it's necessary to go to a priest for that, but some people may feel more comfortable and secure going to a more religiously knowledgable person for that sort of thing.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.