When is an American not an American? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-13 20:15:12 |Display all floors
lucky baby, Chinese Amrican, I love it

www.businessgiftware.biz
[url=http://www.businessgiftware.biz]Business Giftware[/url]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-13 20:48:07 |Display all floors

Interesting

Mengzhi and co are throwing a huge hissy-fit because a child was denied a prize, as the rules had stipulated illegal immigrants couldn't register their children for the prize. This is despite the fact Toys R Us reconsidered their position and decided to award multiple prizes, including one to the Chinese baby.

Yet I see absolutely no outrage over the discrimination of migrant workers inside China, whose children are barred entry to local schools unless they pay fees they cannot afford. And if they try to set up their own schools they're shut down.

So mengzhi's priority is that Chinese illegal immigrants be allowed to register their children for prizes, rather than insisting that the children of Chinese migrants - who after all play a massive part in China's economy - get a decent education. Hmm, strange that.......
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-14 17:33:18 |Display all floors

Te Auction Argument !

Dear  mencius,

Your " auction argument " is fascinating ; if this happen in China, why can't that happen elsewhere ? This is the low in cognitive and intelligent functions. Things in life do not work like that ! The Toys R us botched the sweepstake prize award on a racial discrimination ground and had to wear the crown of thorns. The Chinese government is trying to maintain chaos by restricting internal mass migration without regulations : a result which will be damaging to both the locals and migrants. Mencius has a hard time grasping and distinguishing the two. Well I tried.

Racism is rife and is worsening in all advanced countries. The fantasy of fear is gripping the Anglo-Saxon like never before. They see their jobs and privileges disappearing and they translate this to the fault of unfamiliar faces, culture and languages. There is a siege mentality and the pulling up of all drawbridges. The UK, US and Australia are oozing with racist taunts, behaviour and outright violence. Mad and bad.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-15 22:32:36 |Display all floors

Reply #23 mencius's post

The following article is from the NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/0 ... ssnyt&emc=rss):

In Reversal, Toys “R” Us Gives 3 Baby Prizes

By TIMOTHY WILLIAMS and NINA BERNSTEIN
Published: January 7, 2007
Toys “R” Us yesterday reversed its decision and awarded a $25,000 savings bond to a baby born on New Year’s Day to parents who are not legal United States residents.

The company, and its Babies “R” Us division, said it was giving away not one but three prizes in the contest for the first baby born in 2007, including one to Yuki Lin, who arrived at midnight at New York Downtown Hospital in Manhattan.

Yuki had tied with two others: Yadira Esmeralda, born at Southside Hospital in Bay Shore, on Long Island; and Jayden Swain of Gainesville, Ga. Yuki was chosen the winner by a drawing from all three names, then was disqualified because the rules excluded babies whose mothers are not legal residents. The prize was then awarded to Jayden.

Now all three babies will get $25,000 bonds. The original decision was reported in The World Journal, a Chinese-language newspaper.

The New York Times reported on the controversy yesterday. Later in the day, the company released a statement apologizing for the tumult.

“We love all babies,” the statement said. “We deeply regret that this sweepstakes became a point of controversy. As a result, we have decided to award all three babies in the grand prize pool a $25,000 savings bond.”

Yuki’s parents — Han Lin and Yan Zhu Liu, both 22-year-old restaurant workers — declined to be interviewed. But Albert H. Wang, a corporate lawyer who had mounted an e-mail campaign on the couple’s behalf, said that they were happy, adding, “I think justice has been done.”

Some people were concerned that the parents’ status had been exposed, he said. “But the safest place is actually the eye of the storm,” Mr. Wang said, “and any politician who says we should deport the parents, it would be the end of their political career.”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-15 22:42:36 |Display all floors

Reply #21 mengzhi's post

:)

Haha ...

Cool Beans!

I am glad you feel as though I can see your perspective -- I used your descriptor of their corporate management to get over that particular kind of difficulty in our discussion -- I just temporarily conceded it to you. However, I do not at all believe the management is racist and I see no evidence of it!

Of course, I see the corporate perspective -- they fell into the gears of their own system's structure! -- Normal corporate short-comings.

I do not see anything from any of the nameless persons at Toys R Us that could possibly indicate that any of them are at all racist.

I do not know that they are white.

I do not see that being white has any relationship with being racist, either.

:)

[ Last edited by eightyeight at 2007-1-15 10:47 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-16 03:46:44 |Display all floors
Dear 88,  What are you going on muttering about ?  " I do not see that being white has any relationship with being racist, either " chortled the sage. No ? Who is a racist then ? Some purple people eater from outer space ? Of course being white can be racist, so can black, brown and rainbow coloured. Anyone and everyone of us is a potential racist. Some choose to display it and some are comfortable enough to deck it.

I am glad that this little hiccough is over : let sanity reigns.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-24 08:58:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mencius at 2007-1-13 20:48
Mengzhi and co are throwing a huge hissy-fit because a child was denied a prize, as the rules had stipulated illegal immigrants couldn't register their children for the prize. This is despit ...

Mayhaps you would do well to note that China is a developing country.  Any developing country is going to have major problems like corruption and xenophobia.  On the other hand, America is the leading country in the world and yet it is also one of the most racist and xenophobic (have you seen Borat?).  I'm not excusing racism in CHina, I'm just saying that you need to see that it is moderate in context.
"When I am White, I win because I'm White.  When I'm Black, I win because I am Bogoljubow."

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.