Author: cestmoi

When is an American not an American? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-9 21:00:55 |Display all floors

Reply #13 mengzhi's post

Excuse me, mengzhi, and everyone …

First, it looks like the lawyer and the American media have made this episode into a big issue, not the company.

Second, it is illegal in the US to enter into a contract of any sort with someone underage – the baby gets nothing, by law, except as the winning adult might provide. Most all American sweepstakes have this disclaimer. This has nothing to do with race.

Third, the intended recipient, the mother, in this case is a criminal. This has nothing to do with race.

Fourth, since even a visitor to the US might give birth to the child, US Sweepstakes have a standard disclaimer that the recipient must be a legal resident. This is not a race issue, but a national residence issue. It has nothing to do with race.

Hmmmphhhh!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-9 21:03:23 |Display all floors

Reply #14 caringhk's post

Correct!

Giving away a measly $25G or, as it turned out, $75G -- was an attempt at some cheap publicity, Toy's R Us sure didn't plan on such a backfire of publicity from such a hungry lawyer and an eager press!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-10 11:40:42 |Display all floors

WhiteWash Inc.

# 15.

Dear eightyeight,

Thank you for the whitewash attempt but it does not work. I defer to you for the apparently superior reading of the law but I, like all by standers, only see what we can see. If it looks like, quacks like, waddles like a duck , it is a duck.

If the mother is a " criminal " because she is not a citizen yet ( she may be a permanent resident ) then put her in jail. Has she been arrested for her " crime "yet ? You trundle out these outrageous law and order straight jacket items to pontificate every time. It is just a sweepstake for crying out loud. The couple did not have the $25 grand before the birth of their daughter and I am sure they won't die of famine if they don't get the prize. It is the way they are treated which counted. Only the gate keeper in the company has the real answer.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-10 20:43:09 |Display all floors

Reply tp mengzhi: Grand Imperial Dragon

Cute!

Why don't you try reading the article again!

it looks to me like you think I am the law -- most illegal residents are allowed to run free or are released shortly after they are caught.

And according to the contest’s fine print, the chain decided, she was ruled out because her mother was not a legal resident.

Kathleen Waugh, a spokeswoman for the company, ....

the potential winner’s information and obtain a signed affidavit of eligibility — which is required under the official rules of the sweepstakes — the sweepstakes administrator was informed that the mother of the baby born at New York Downtown Hospital was not a legal resident of the United States.” Contest rules say that only mothers who are legal residents are eligible, Ms. Waugh said, adding that such requirements are common in sweepstakes.

The rest of your horsesh.. is crap!

The race thing is only coming from those who are either iliterate or illinformed and have a race axe to grind -- and so it seems to me. Which category are you in, mengzhi?

DUH!!!

[ Last edited by eightyeight at 2007-1-10 08:46 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-11 13:01:09 |Display all floors

That Mealy Mouth Mumbling.

Dear 88,

You are being incredibly unkind in offering me just two negative categories to pick : illiterate or ill informed. What a task master you are. I must respectfully decline both and refer them back to you with the exact question.

Before we get too carried away over this covert racist managment, let me state that the company could have presented the prize to someone else to start with and bypass the whole unsavoury and unpleasant tos and fros. ToysrUs could have done a thousand things instead of awarding the sweepstake money, invoked the law and order dimension, rescind and reward the prize money to Yuki in the end. It is a dog's breakfast. If the company wanted that sort of racist publicity, they have succeeded. If not, there was a muddled thinking at the gate-keeper's. The prize is for the BABY, not the mother. It is a fun thing, not a immigration exam.

In the end it is what the recipients ( victim races ) whose opinions count. The ones dishing it out ( whites ) of course deny any bad intentions or behaviour. So I will let it rest there. I think your halo as the defender of the white supremacists camp is shinier than ever. Good luck .   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-11 20:47:10 |Display all floors

reply to mengzhi

Hi mengzhi!

Haha!

Well ... as long as we are throwing around a bunch of nasty labels ...

Ermmmm ....

However,

I do think you hit upon the crux of the matter:

Originally posted by mengzhi at 2007-1-11 13:01
.... this covert racist managment, let me state that the company could have presented the prize to someone else to start with and bypass the whole unsavoury and unpleasant tos and fros.

ToysrUs could have done a thousand things instead of awarding the sweepstake money, invoked the law and order dimension, rescind and reward the prize money to Yuki in the end.

It is a dog's breakfast.

If the company wanted that sort of racist publicity, they have succeeded. If not, there was a muddled thinking at the gate-keeper's. The prize is for the BABY, not the mother. It is a fun thing, not a immigration exam.

A CLASH OF PERSPECTIVE???

The 'covert racist management' screwed up! No doubt!

Not only did they make an error in trying to do something fun and get some good publicity for themselves, thier dirt-cheap game backfired, as their poor thinking on the whole concept totally missed the scenario now being played out by the hungry media and their favorite newshounds, the wolves.

These actions demonstrate, very clearly (at least to some), that the 'covert racist management' of that company is not only stupid -- but really stupid!

And obviously white!

And clearly racist!

OK, do I have your side of the story straight?

Maybe I should add one more: anyone who tries to explain the corporate process in clear terms, maybe also labeled a defender of those clearly damnedably racists.

Let's roll out the 'ol guillotine, or what-have-you, and use it on all the lawyers and the judges, politicians, bankers, store-owners, corporate rich-cats and anyone else of whom the mob acquires an interest!

How's that?

I am teasing you, of course ...

But I think you hit on the very problem in your thoughts!

:)

Clearly the company screwed up!

And their solution didn't help the matter at all -- it was another screw-up!

What the 'covert racist management' ought to do, is declare an exception to their stupid rules (people don't care about their stinkin' rules!!!), in this case, for any given number of reasons -- one, the Dad is a citizen, two, the press is bad, three it is not fun, four, some see the stupid things the lawyers write into nearly each and every sweepstake contract throughout the whole racist white American world as clearly an attempt or an excuse to apply their racism!

Then they should hand the lady the $25G, throw a big party for the lawyer and thank him for his vigilance while rewarding him with a handsome $5G check for his great efforts and then make a public apology to the media, while taking-out big expensive ads in their service.

After all, everyone on the non-corporate end of the deal only sees the struggle of a small family that ought to be awarded each and every possible grace that comes along.

Corporate people just don't have a clue! And their attorneys are the coldest of them all -- the poorest choice in any kind of leadership, no doubt!

Normal everyday people don't care about no stinkin' lawyer's corporate rules!

:)

[ Last edited by eightyeight at 2007-1-11 09:12 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-12 06:20:27 |Display all floors

What a serve !

Thank you 88 ( or is it 99?),   I am overwhelmed by the tirade you socked out to the corporate lawyers, the media and their dogs. I did not venture that far in my post , did I ? Well I can see clearly that you are no fan of these societal leeches. Good on you. I am of the same opinion too. Cheers.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.