Views: 3156|Replies: 8

Chinese people’s definition of Friendship--Activechinese [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-3 23:05:41 |Display all floors
Some foreigners don’t understand why we Chinese take people as friends so easily. As a Chinese language teacher, I’ve been asked a lot of times the same question by my laowai students. Sometime Chinese will mention a person they’ve just talked once as friend. To explain that briefly, Chinese people are generally friendly! Or you can read this followed from Activechinese.com

"Chinese are eager to learn anything and everything foreign these days, even at the expense of the time and privacy of strangers. Though they are trying to be friendly, don’t expect them to respect your space or leave you in peace at most public places. If you want to chat with the locals and practice your Chinese, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to do that, but if you’re looking for a private dinner and to be left alone, you may want to go to a “western” restaurant or a place where seeing westerners is common." Read more,  www.activechinese.com

So what do you think? Especially if you are a "Laowai"?

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2007-1-4 06:42:11 |Display all floors

I am learning chinese

Originally posted by layinfalls at 2007-1-3 23:05
Some foreigners don’t understand why we Chinese take people as friends so easily. As a Chinese language teacher, I’ve been asked a lot of times the same question by my laowai students. Sometime C ...

I am learning chinese in Athens.Can you suggest me a really good book?What can I do in order to remember the chinese characters?
I really    love China,半个 中国 人

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-4 06:47:32 |Display all floors
Originally posted by layinfalls at 1-3-2007 23:05
Some foreigners don’t understand why we Chinese take people as friends so easily. As a Chinese language teacher, I’ve been asked a lot of times the same question by my laowai students. Sometime C ...

the only time ii recall ever being influenced by chinese sitting at another table (aside from a few expected, but not invasive stares) IN a chinese restaruant, was when a  a chinese guy was rooting me on to drink more as was he.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-8 15:04:43 |Display all floors

Learn Chinese Characters--Activechinese

Originally posted by xilaren at 2007-1-4 06:42

I am learning chinese in Athens.Can you suggest me a really good book?What can I do in order to remember the chinese characters?

It's hard to learn Chinese characters, but definitely enjoyable once you get to know how they are formed, some of them are originally formed from the shape of the object, for example, the word mountain "山" , or moon: 月,and fire "火" , it's really interesting to learn these easy words with imagination, but if you want to write articles in Chinese, it takes hard work. I suggest you go to this website: www.activechinese.com, I looked up on that site, it has a good programme to teach you write chinese characters in some unique method. Or you can buy Chinese character flash cards, a lot of my students use that, very effective.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-12 22:54:34 |Display all floors
we are friend

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-13 18:36:54 |Display all floors

To Layinfalls

I reed your comment at the start of th string. I think Westerners dont like being folowed and have thier privacy not respected. Does this  mean we dont care about them and our curiosity is more important to us than respect to others?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-14 02:17:03 |Display all floors
I think by looking at this thread your more interested promoting your website than anything else.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.