Author: modeststeam

One-Child Policy Changes Tradition: Aging [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-9 13:32:52 |Display all floors
China actually needs a new policy - and it is one that India and many other countries also need.

There needs to be - for at least one generation - a "No Child" policy.

While there are many young people in China that are purposely deciding to not have children, it is not enough. The world needs far fewer children and an - at least - one generation "No Child" policy in China and India and other countries would go a long way to improving the world's future.

China does not need another child - not even one - and neither does India.

Those families in America that have 5, 6, or even 10 or more children need to be immediately legislated against and it should be made a crime for any family to have more children than any couple can be shown to be able to treat each child equally as to food, personal living space, education and health.

All religious fanatics that speak out against limiting unwanted children through either surgical or chemical abortion or either surgical or chemical neutering of adults or use of prophylactics must be jailed as traitors to the nation.

Save the world! Stop having children for one generation!

[ Last edited by canchin at 2007-1-9 04:09 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-9 15:27:30 |Display all floors

somewhat I agree to "No Child" policy

and, quite a few couples here working for China Daily have opted to have no children at all, in their 40s or 30s now, to support the country.  China has too many people.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-10 08:13:16 |Display all floors
I think "no children" is rather extreme; how about "adopted children only"? China has many children that need parents.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-10 08:37:34 |Display all floors

Difficult to enforce

People want to have sex and contraception can fail. What do you do about children born "accidentily" - you can't prove if someone forgot to take the pill, condom broke, etc. Kill the child? Fine the parents - not their fault and they may not be able to pay the fine. If the fine is low there's not much of an incentive not to have kids.

No, no children would be mad. People robbed of having kids would get royally pissed off. Also it would cause the population to age very quickly, causing problems with tax receipts and social spending, etc. Maybe the best way is to try to encourage population decrease by natural causes and make fines proportionate to income. So there's no way middle and upper class Chinese can get away with having extra children, because the fines they are liable for are too much money even for them.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-10 08:58:08 |Display all floors
Fining people proportionally to their income would also make a lot of sense.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-10 08:59:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by sockmonkey at 10-1-2007 00:58
Fining people proportionally to their income would also make a lot of sense.

Which makes me wonder why it isn't being done - as far as I know it's a flat fine, or if it is incrimental it isn't proportionate enough.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-10 09:39:48 |Display all floors
Okay, I can't really tell if you're being serious about that "No Child" policy, there, #8, 'cause it sounds a little, I dunno, barbaric. And slightly insane. There is no way of practically/plausibly enforcing something like that- I mean, the Government has enough trouble with the One Child Policy as it is. Plus you have all the consequences of the aging population, as #11 mentioned.

IMO, the OCP needs some serious adjusting. There is a major imbalance of how each area is enforcing the policy, i.e. major cities and towns are pretty strict about it, but the rules in more rural areas are very lax, and it's in those areas where the problem lies.  Many of them are traditionalists who, of course, want boys to carry on the family name, and they keep on trying until they 'get it right'. For every extra kid they churn out, they get fined maybe 5000 yuan. Each child then goes on to receive a subpar education, then get married off to equally traditionalist families and make even more babies, and thus the cycle continues.

I don't know if this is a common occurence, or if the people in my laojia are just uninformed.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.