Views: 12785|Replies: 51

(original works)Can you hear the falling leaves? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-12-20 13:10:56 |Display all floors
My daughter once asked me:“ Mom, in our textbook it says that the sound of the falling leaves is a kind of rustle, but I have never heard it, have you?” I thought for a second and answered honestly:“No, I haven’t.” seeing her so disappointed.
Has anyone once heard the sound of the falling leaves? I tried, but failed. It was only the noise of the stamping of the feet on those fallen leaves that I heard.
The basic sound of cities is different noises coming from automobiles, construction sites, electronical apparatus…These noises have brought with us nervousness, fidget as well as injury to the hearing. How are we able to hear that sound? We even lose the passion to listen.
There is a very beautiful essay titled ‘Golden Rosebush’ written by a Russian writer long time ago. In that essay he described his feeling when he heard the falling leaves:“The autumn night is all silent, surprisingly silent, not the least wind to be heard. I looked up at the tall maple tree and saw a leaf slowly falling, it shuddered for a second, taking a short pause in mid-air, and then wavered a slight rustle, making its way to my feet…This is the first time I have heard the sound of a falling leaf. It was so vague, like the susurrate of a young baby.”

I was so moved by this description. And yet for me, I’d compare the sound of the falling leaves to the whispers between lovers. It must be in a poor and lonely village that the boy and the girl sit side by side under a tall maple tree at a same silent autumn night. There is a clear sky where the stars are smiling. They could look into each other’s eyes for a long time, not a word to be said. Then there comes the sound of the falling maple leaves, the whispers of love…
Someday, I’ll try to listen… This year’s autumn is so long. The maple leaves are still red.

Please correct my mistakes.
Thank you.
Boating on the Houhai River...在后海泛舟...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-20 13:49:41 |Display all floors
I love it :)
I like to be here, to be with you, to sense your presence all the time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-20 15:55:10 |Display all floors
so  cute``````

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-21 14:01:51 |Display all floors
Thank you for your replies.:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-21 20:36:36 |Display all floors
Are there any mistakes in my essay?:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-27 18:44:57 |Display all floors

Reply #1 whirlingone's post

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-27 19:46:32 |Display all floors
Originally posted by huang262 at 2006-12-27 18:44
My daughter once asked me:“ Mom, in our textbook it says that the sound of the falling leaves is a kind of rustle, but I have never heard it, have you?” I thought for a second and answered honest ...

Thank you so much Huang262. It's very kind of you to correct my mistakes.

'seeing her so disappointed'---shall I write ' I saw her so disappointed.'?
'fidget '---I can't think of a right word.
'a Russian writer'----I will simply say 'a Russian'?
'susurrate'---Is it similar like saying 'murmur'? If so, I acturally intended to use a different word ('murmur' was used once).
'at a same silent autumn night'---Should I say 'at the same ....'? But doesn't 'at the same' mean exactly that same night? ( I wanted to say ' It also happened in a silent autumn night, but not that very night as the Russian writer described.)

[ Last edited by whirlingone at 2006-12-27 07:54 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.