Author: watertree

Rape of Nanking [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-12-19 08:50:05 |Display all floors

Reply #14 sockmonkey's post

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-19 09:41:47 |Display all floors
I am an English teacher in Jiangxi Province and one of my lesson topics was about prejudice and stereotypes.  The Japanese were brought up during the lesson:

Me: "What are your impressions about the Japanese?"
Students: "We hate the Japanese!" (most students)
Me: "Have you ever met a Japanese person?"
Students: "No, never." (again, most students)

I wonder who taught them to hate Japanese?  It obviously wasn't because they had some personal experience with Japanese that left a bad taste in their mouths about the entire country and its people.
Individuality: Always Remember That You Are Unique.  Just Like Everybody Else.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-19 09:49:46 |Display all floors

Reply #15 huang262's post

A little off topic, but aren't you aware that your avatar is of a ME (Messerschmitt) 262, an operational German jet fighter during WWII?  Cool plane, though (for the Germans, not the Allies).

[ Last edited by projeka at 2006-12-19 09:51 AM ]
Individuality: Always Remember That You Are Unique.  Just Like Everybody Else.

Use magic tools Report

john_galt has been deleted
Post time 2006-12-19 09:56:24 |Display all floors

RANDOM THOUGHTS ON THIS ISSUE

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-19 10:46:42 |Display all floors

to #18 and #15

In regards to the textbooks, I think it will. Maybe not in my lifetime, but give them a few more generations and I think there's a chance. I realize this is a very, very sticky issue and one must take a long-term perspective.

As for the German-Jewish relationship, I really don't know much about it as it stands today. However, general impressions are that it's much calmer than the Chinese-Japanese relationship. Germany acknowledged their wrongdoing, which is a major help.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-20 01:57:01 |Display all floors

Reply #19 sockmonkey's post

"Germany acknowledged their wrongdong, which is a major help": you are right. And this is my point.

If you watch the film, you will understand that what happened in Nanjing is not because Japanese soldiers went out of control, it is because they were following orders. The higher commanders told them to do so and the purpose is to terrify Chinese people, and people around the world. They wanted people to be terrified and then surrender. Japan had the ambition: they wanted to conquer the whole world. To conquer the world, they wanted to conquer China first.
I like to be here, to be with you, to sense your presence all the time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-20 02:05:56 |Display all floors

Reply #18 john_galt's post

You are right: rewriting the textbook will be nearly impossible. Why? Japanese authorities do not want to or do not have the gut to do so. Since their action is determined by votors, this means there are (many) Japanese people who do not want to face their invasion history and refuse to learn from the past.

If this continues, Japan WILL invade again.
I like to be here, to be with you, to sense your presence all the time.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.