Views: 9241|Replies: 13

how many tones in the chinese language? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-12-13 10:53:05 |Display all floors
i know there are four tones in chinese. but my Cantonese friends don't agree. they insist Chinese has far more tones than that. and they say in Fujian, the tones of the local language even overnumber those of Cantonese.  My god, how many tones in Chinese?

by the way, am wanna learn Cantonese. Is there any Cantonese class in Beijing?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 11:10:38 |Display all floors
except tones of āáǎà
there's one called "qing", pronounce like atonic...so tone, usually at the end of phrase if for e.g. "yours", nǐ de---there de is "qing"

and there's "qu" tone, this is a sound of the end of a word, with a rising but atonic sound, which was the tune of ancient standard chinese, but now no such tone in mandarin, only some dialects kept it...

for e.g. to pronouce "han fu"(han costume) in chinese with a "qu" tone, you should pronouce like "hanfuk" in english...hope I made sense

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 12:06:32 |Display all floors
I'm all the more confused!

Chinese tones are hard nuts to crack.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 12:38:53 |Display all floors
things will be easier if I explain all in chinese....I had to look up their names in english

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-14 09:37:20 |Display all floors
Well, it's nice of you to have made great efforts to translate them into English!

Anyway, I know tones play an indispensable role in Chinese language.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-14 10:15:40 |Display all floors
There are five officially in Mandarin (though the neutral tone is sometimes left out). They can change, though, depending on where they are... when 2 third tones are in a row, the first one becomes a second tone, for example.

In Chinese songs, tones are ignored, right? That's the impression I got, and would explain why almost all performances I saw on TV had subtitles.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-14 10:55:35 |Display all floors

Reply #2 superkylin's post

SuperK.  In another thread about the han fu and qipao I wondered about your spelling it "hanfuk" and was about to ask you.  This explains it.  Thanks.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.