Author: tongluren

China to Ban Smoking in Public [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-12-13 10:20:25 |Display all floors
Smoking ban has been hard to put into effect because of a commonly accepted belief or a saying that prevails in many parts of the country. the saying goes like this: A cigarette after meal makes an immortal being envy you! The people with such a belief account for at least 30% of the smoking population. Former Chairman Mao and Deng are said to be good examples for them to follow, each time they are warned of the danger of smoking, they would say: look at the two great men, they lived and enjoyed a long healthy life though they smoked till the last day of their lives...!hahaha...!lol

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 10:37:00 |Display all floors

to #8

Still, wouldn't it be fair to ban it in medical places (where hygiene is a primary concern) and places where there are lots of children (who can't choose to avoid the smoke)?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 10:40:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by sockmonkey at 2006-12-13 10:37
Still, wouldn't it be fair to ban it in medical places (where hygiene is a primary concern) and places where there are lots of children (who can't choose to avoid the smoke)?

Funny you should mention that... I've been to some hospitals where the medical examiners are smoking in the office.  It's also common to see male teachers smoking on school grounds, even while teaching in the classroom.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 10:57:38 |Display all floors
Originally posted by sockmonkey at 2006-12-13 10:37

It's fair to ban smoking in any kind of public places where people that dont smoke may suffer from what's called the second-hand smoke. but smoking ban's not a mission that can be done overnight as u mentioned above. what's suposed to be done at the present time are: to

--raise the smoking ban awareness of the people
--block the channels through which those cigarette manufacturers from the US and UK pour their products into chinese market which they believe is the biggest share of their global market.

It's widely believed that the US and UK cigarette manufacturers had already targeted Asia, esp. China as their overseas markets almost twenty years ago. They've made a big fortune poisoning asian population...!

So smoking ban is supposed to be a joint effort on the international basis...! The US and UK governments are supposed to have a share in it...!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 11:03:09 |Display all floors
Now, now, don't be pointing fingers at the US and UK for "poisoning" the Asian population.  Most people I see here aren't smoking American or British brands, but rather Chinese brands... which, if I'm not mistaken, are government controlled.  So, who's really getting rich now?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 11:09:04 |Display all floors

good idea

it is a good idea , proving the development of our country ,  pay more attention to public heatthy,  but it will not  easy to put into effective , especially  in the begining , so  i think  that introduce the punitive measure will be necesseary, high penalty mechanism will be effective!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 11:41:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by projeka at 2006-12-13 11:03
Now, now, don't be pointing fingers at the US and UK for "poisoning" the Asian population.  Most people I see here aren't smoking American or British brands, but rather Chinese brands...  ...

I was not pointing fingers at the US and UK, but some of the cigarette manufacturers operating in these countries. it's a sheer fact that needs any hiding of...! I say it's in the interests of  human beings to launch an international joint effort to ban smoking, which i think nobody will have an objection to...! Do you?...!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.