Views: 19144|Replies: 81

China to Ban Smoking in Public [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-12-13 08:26:01 |Display all floors
Now this is plainly good news.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/vie ... 061212-061859-5325r

"BEIJING, Dec. 12 (UPI) -- China's Ministry of Health announced Tuesday it will ban smoking in all public areas, public transportation and indoor places of business.

Ministry spokesman Mao Qun'an said the revised regulations would be sent to the central government for final approval after the ministry finishes writing out the details, reported Xinhua, China's official government-run news agency.

"Educational and medical institutions, and places offering services to children will be among the first places with smoking bans," Mao said.

The policy change follows the Chinese government signing the World Health Organization Framework Convention on Tobacco Control in August 2005. The treaty bans all tobacco vending machines and calls for all tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship on radio, television, print media and the Internet to be phased out within five years. "

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 08:37:59 |Display all floors
Sounds good to me. Many US cities are enforcing smoking bans; it'd be great if China did the same, since the problem is so much worse there.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 09:47:54 |Display all floors
haha,Can it be banned at home?If so,I'll much thankful.
If it's God's will

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 09:49:59 |Display all floors
The enforcement will be a problem. It's not so realistic to carry out this law or regulation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 09:55:42 |Display all floors

to #4

It has to be done in small steps. I agree with the idea to stop it first in educational and medical institutions and also places where there are many children around. Going cold-turkey won't work, but a gradual one could probably be done.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 09:59:01 |Display all floors
YES YES YES....!!!!!!!!!    Thats GREAT!!! Finally people are thinking !!!.... I knew the leaders were smart.  Awsome!!  Now we just need to enforce it.

People need to be educate via the TV...there needs to be a country wide campain. People need statistics, they need to see tv commericals of the people who die each year and the children it affects and the harm it does to society and the loosing face etc..whatever it takes to stop this nasty addiction. Its killing too many people.

[ Last edited by modeststeam at 2006-12-13 10:01 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 10:12:19 |Display all floors
No Smoking signs are useless.  Anytime I am in a public building, be it a restaurant or bus station, there will be someone puffing away right next to the sign.  It's just a selfish attitude people seem to have... that their craving to smoke out weighs courtesy to others around them.  I can't call it "common courtesy" here, because it doesn't seem to be too common.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.