Author: mark069

System Busy - Please Try Again Later ??? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-12-13 20:18:33 |Display all floors

Yes, Australian censor opinions

Originally posted by emucentral at 2006-12-13 19:38
Not quite. Australian newspapers have similar guidelines regarding racist and hate speech as CD. The difference is they are enforced consistently in Australia rather than selectively as is done here.

Following comments are not banded because they attack non-whites, so it is acceptable. Similar comments were made by Bruce Ruxton, former head of Victorian "Returned Servicemen Leage" (RSL). Prime Minister Howard publicly and repeated defended Senator Pauline Hanson's right to speak out.

Ms Hanson said she was angered at the loss of Australian traditions because of Muslims and that black Africans should be barred from the country because they brought AIDS and tuberculosis.

Her latest explosive comments come a decade after the right-wing firebrand divided Australia with her comments that the nation was in danger of being swamped by Asians.

She [former Senator Pauline Hanson] proceeded to harangue us about the wrong-headedness of Aborigines having a say in their own affairs, multiculturalism and common human decency derided as political correctness.

The Government has taken a more aggressive posture towards the United Nations, particularly in regards to our human rights record and the environment. Add to this the attacks - both coded and direct - on multiculturalism, culminating in the street violence in Cronulla last December.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 20:38:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cestmoi at 2006-12-13 22:18
Following comments are not banded because they attack non-whites, so it is acceptable.

Have you read the torrent of newspaper letters and editorials which have attacked Pauline Hanson's views, Ruxton's comments, and the Prime Minister's statements on various issues?

Maybe you just read the overseas media which wallows in the "racist" reports, but doesn't show the other side.

I did search for foreign media mentions of how young Arab-Australian men are being trained to become lifesavers on Cronulla beach, but strangely enough all I could find was the reports of the riots a year ago!
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 21:09:14 |Display all floors

A biased search criteria?

Originally posted by emucentral at 2006-12-13 20:38

Oddly enough, it was your Australian Broadcasting Company (ABC) which aired the program about a handful of young Lebanese being invited to join the iconic white Australian surf life saving clubs.

They said to the effect that the (racist) tension is still there.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-14 05:56:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cestmoi at 2006-12-13 23:09
Oddly enough, it was your Australian Broadcasting Company (ABC) which aired the program about a handful of young Lebanese being invited to join the iconic white Australian surf life saving clubs.

They said to the effect that the (racist) tension is still there.

It's not odd that it was mentioned on the ABC.
One commercial TV network's hysterical current affairs shows did a silly stunt, dressing a model in full Hijab and parading her through Cronulla (filming her with a hidden camera), and then dressing her down to a bikini top and short pants and parading her around the heart of the Islamic area in Lakemba.

Do you know what happened, how the reaction differed in those two areas?
Tell me what you think happened, and in which suburb she was injured or got the most hostile response.

Back to the lifesaver issue. Well China Daily and other international media did report on the violence at Cronulla a year ago.
However last time I searched I could not find international media reports on the training of Lakemba Lifesavers! Just the bad news they appear to be interested in.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-14 06:19:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cestmoi at 2006-12-13 22:10
Yes, censorship exists in China. If you are in Shenzhen watching TV news beamed from Hong Kong and there is a criticism of China, it will blank out. I want China to continue with this level of censorship for a while.

Why do you want this censoship to continue, Cestmoi.
You live in HK, don't you?

Why do you wish to perpetuate this difference in rights, where the people of HK are allowed free access to news and opinions from around the globe, but their neighbours in Shenzhen are not?
Or maybe you want the HK media to be as controlled as that of the mainland, please clarify.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-24 14:16:16 |Display all floors

Give them enough rope...

I'll be posting this across three threads to tie them together. The readers will judge for themselves  whether we are dealing with a case of devious double-standard and hypocrisy from white Australia.

[Emucentral said]...In another thread, Cestmoi details his experience and clearly admits to muttering  comments at a security guard which brought on a bit of backchat. Cestmoi said the metal detector was set
too sensitive.
Cestmoi attributes the whole experience to him being Chinese, and the guard being (presumably) an anglo- Australian.

http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/vie ... page%3D3&page=9

Emucentral narrated the incident as if he were there! We can now clearly see that Emucentral with intend twisted the words and manufactured evidences maliciously. In this case, Emucentral said I admitted that I muttered comments at a security when in fact I muttered to myself that "this is ridiculous". I said something similar in NY, JFK and the response was: "Yeah, but necessary."

Also be mindful of nuances: I "admitted" nothing, rather, I "stated" that I was muttering to myself.

I did not say the metal detector was set too high. The other female guard said it was set too high.

I did not attribute the whole experience to being Chinese although I have witnessed many security guards use these measures to vent their pettiness on passengers. However I do attribute the incident to Howard's divisive politics to inter alia create an atmosphere of fear and hatred.

What we witness here is a remarkable effort to dissemble and to re-write history and events, also throwing in a bit of character assassination along with it. However this is a typical white Australian attitude.  They do that a lot, it is one of their defining national trait.

However the most damning of all evidence here is Emucentral's implicit assertion that there is no "freedom of speech" as such. Cestmoi is not to mutter to himself anything that Australians do not like.

In another thread, I advocated a form of editorial censorship. Emucentral posted following:

[Emucentral said] ...Why do you want this censoship to continue, Cestmoi.
You live in HK, don't you?
Why do you wish to perpetuate this difference in rights, where the people of HK are allowed free access to  
news and opinions from around the globe, but their neighbours in Shenzhen are not?
Or maybe you want the HK media to be as controlled as that of the mainland, please clarify.

http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/vie ... page%3D1&page=3

Fair enough, but what if they disagree with Emucentral. Can the reporters say "its ridiculous" publicly if  Cestmoi isn't even allowed to mutter to himself?

In another thread, Emucentral agreed with me that students from Beijing- and Tsinghua Univerisities should be able to read these postings. Emucentral cited SCMP and "The Standard" as examples. I take Emucentral assumes nobody at these newspapers mutter "its ridiculous" about Australia's divisive and oftentimes abusive politics?  

http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/vie ... page%3D1&page=6

There has been university students on this forum, they do read it. It is good they see the dissembling and rewriting of events by Australians.

Meanwhile Christopher_104 suggested that "Australia  should be used as an example, not an object of envy."

As for using Australia as an example: we will not introduce a reverse White Australia Policy; we most certainly will not commit genocide against the Aborigines; and we will not have any of the Cronulla race  riots. As for rushing headlong into the Irak war whilst bribing Saddam Hussein with $300 millions, you can forget about that too. Appealing as these Australian qualities may be to our English forumite Christopher_104, it is just not Chinese.

We can see now certain Australian national characteristics surfacing:
(1) Australian freedom of speech is okay as long as it does not contravene or appear to contravene official policies;
(2) Australian freedom of speech is not okay if it upsets a white Australian;
(3) Australian freedom of speech is okay if a wite Australian upsets a Chinese;
(4) Australian tendency to dissemble, re-write history and events; and engage in character assassination.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-24 15:16:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cestmoi at 2006-12-24 16:16
Fair enough, but what if they disagree with Emucentral. Can the reporters say "its ridiculous" publicly if  Cestmoi isn't even allowed to mutter to himself?

In another thread, Emucentral agreed with me that students from Beijing- and Tsinghua Univerisities should be able to read these postings. Emucentral cited SCMP and "The Standard" as examples. I take Emucentral assumes nobody at these newspapers mutter "its ridiculous" about Australia's divisive and oftentimes abusive politics?  

Cestmoi, I totally support your right to complain about metal detector sensitivity settings at any Australian airport.
It drives me mad when there are such large variations in settings, however I don't think that muttering things under your breath (whether at the guards or to yourself) at the actual airport security area is actually the wisest move.
Originally posted by cestmoi at 2006-12-24 16:16
I did not attribute the whole experience to being Chinese although I have witnessed many security guards use these measures to vent their pettiness on passengers. However I do attribute the incident to Howard's divisive politics to inter alia create an atmosphere of fear and hatred.  

The atmosphere of fear was not created by Howard, it was created by Osama, Amrozi and their ilk.

In 2002, when I was in Salt Lake City for the Winter Olympics, I was challenged and "told off" by a fireman who was at a Service station. My "crime", I was filming street sign names for a video clip I was making.
I was wearing media identification which was clearly visible.
Although I am no fan of GWB, I blame the incident entirely on one stupid fireman, and not all white anglo Americans.
You appear to be blaming all Australians for your incident which, from what you've said, appears to be due to some unwise behaviour on your own part.

JB

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.