Author: mark069

System Busy - Please Try Again Later ??? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-12-13 17:42:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by northwest at 2006-12-12 18:21

Hi there, could you please comment on the news below.

Thanks before

A new Indiana University study concludes that "news reports by television reporters embedded with American troops in the early days of the Iraq War found little support for critics who question the journalists' objectivity." However, according to the study's abstract, the measure of objectivity was "the use of personal pronouns in embedded and nonembedded reports during CNN coverage of the 'Shock and Awe' campaign" and "the context in which personal pronouns were used by embedded reporters." While "there was more frequent use of personal pronouns by embedded reporters," the researchers judged the reports to be "void of personal values and ideologies." Whether embedded reporters were more or less likely to include the perspectives of Iraqis, United Nations officials, or war critics is not addressed. The media watchgroup FAIR has documented that U.S. television coverage of Iraq is "dominated by government and military officials."

[url]http://www.prwatch.org/taxonomy/term/86?from=60[/u ...

Interesting - at this moment I am watching free speech  TV - a news program about the American army in Iraq including abuses at the prisons there.   Yes, it's difficult to find media that will report EVERYTHING about the war in Iraq.  But often that's due to the fact that the media doesn't have the access in Iraq to find out everything that is going on.

As I channel surf over to CCTV I don't see any better coverage of Iraq - CCTV often just rehashes Associated Press reports.  

The nice thing about living in the US is that with a satellite dish like I have if I think CNN is not giving me the whole story I can surf over to the BBC, CCTV , AL Jezeera, whoever is out there.  No censorship by the government directly.

In 5 star hotels in Beijing and Shanghai it seems like the satellite ALWAYS fails  (and therefore you cannot receive CNN, BBC or whatever)  when there is a major news event involving China.....  I wish they would just say the government is currently censoring the transmission of CNN, BBC etc.   Censorship by the government directly....

[ Last edited by mark069 at 2006-12-13 01:43 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 18:46:10 |Display all floors

GAME SET AND MATCH- Northwest

Originally posted by mark069 at 2006-12-13 19:42
Interesting - at this moment I am watching free speech  TV - a news program about the American army in Iraq including abuses at the prisons there.   ....As I channel surf over to CCTV I don't see any better coverage of Iraq - CCTV often just rehashes Associated Press reports.  

The nice thing about living in the US is that with a satellite dish like I have if I think CNN is not giving me the whole story I can surf over to the BBC, CCTV , AL Jezeera, whoever is out there.  ....In 5 star hotels in Beijing and Shanghai it seems like the satellite ALWAYS fails  ... when there is a major news event involving China.....

Northwest,
Sorry, but you've been comprehensively beaten by Mark's response.

Give up mate, before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 18:47:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2006-12-13 16:57
You've been posting that same quote around the traps, it doesn't support your case, so I am helping you out by pointing out how it doesn't work for you.  ...

How could you know that I want to discredit him by the quoted post? I'm just curious about his views, he's a rather 'new' friend anyway.
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 19:02:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by northwest at 2006-12-13 20:47
How could you know that I want to discredit him by the quoted post? I'm just curious about his views, he's a rather 'new' friend anyway.

Yep, and I'm on the next moon mission.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 19:20:24 |Display all floors

It seems you have made up your mind already!

Originally posted by mark069 at 2006-12-13 06:07
You will only get this message if your IP address is on their "black list" for some unknown transgression....

So have you made up your mind it is censorship?

I don't know how much knowledge you have on how to run a web site, but in broad detail, this is how it works. I'll use free-ware for my explanation for fear of offending name brands.

At the front end you have firewall, demarcation-zones, HTML, Javascript, Java applets, JSP etc  A lot of security is built in at this level.

They talk with Apache. You can block certain IP addresses at the Apache level already. Most people don't do that. At this level, you can create chats like what we have here.

Apache can talk with Tomcat servlets. These are the little smart guys which connect via JDBC and ODBC to databases. So if someone wants to go beyond simple chatting and get something back from the database, a call is made to a servlet.

Apache and Tomcats can be setup  in a many-to-many configuration for load balancing purposes.

There are cards in the servers call LAN cards, you can have multiples in an Apache server and groups of IP-addresses can be shunted to different servers. LAN cards can cater to more than one IP-address, but that's another story.

SOme of the important things CD need to achieve are:
(1) load balancing - this is a very busy site;
(2) shunt certain IP-addressed to the appropriate servlet container which have special privileges.

A lot of work is still required for the "load balancing" technology with automatic fail-over and recovery of processes so that no transactions are lost.

With you DSL, try not to switch it on and off because it you do, you most likely end up with a different IP address. Now I suspect CD gives preferences to "regulars". It is quite possible that you get shunted to a busy server.

And yes, CD does have censorhship and ban some people, but CD does not ban as many people as does countries like Australia where your cannot post to the major broadsheets without the messages being vetted and approved first.

One other newspaper that I am aware of, the NYTimes.com, provide a similar service. You will find that we quote from NYTimes.com a lot here.

I have also get "site busy" from American ISP providers. Eventually I get through.

Other technically-minded forumites are welcome to add their two cents worth - this is only a very high level introduction using free-wares.

Okay there, chief?

[ Last edited by cestmoi at 2006-12-13 07:22 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 19:38:09 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cestmoi at 2006-12-13 21:20
So have you made up your mind it is censorship?

It is clearly a form of censorship. I don't know how they do it, but they do.
As I have mentioned, I don't have the problem in the forum proper, or making comments from my work internet service, which I use very rarely.

Originally posted by cestmoi at 2006-12-13 21:20
And yes, CD does have censorhship and ban some people, but CD does not ban as many people as does countries like Australia where your cannot post to the major broadsheets without the messages being vetted and approved first.

Not quite. Australian newspapers have similar guidelines regarding racist and hate speech as CD. The difference is they are enforced consistently in Australia rather than selectively as is done here.

I have said before, I have had letters published where I have criticised and poked fun at a major Australian newspaper. This newspaper (The Age) publishes many many letters critical of Australia's federal government and the Prime Minister.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 20:10:28 |Display all floors

Censorship in China

Originally posted by mark069 at 2006-12-13 17:42
Interesting - at this moment I am watching free speech  TV - a news program about the American army in Iraq including abuses at the prisons there.   Yes, it's difficult to find media that will  ...

Yes, censorship exists in China. If you are in Shenzhen watching TV news beamed from Hong Kong and there is a criticism of China, it will blank out. I want China to continue with this level of censorship for a while.

Continue with the censorship but improve the education standard at the same time.

Congratulations on the fee waiver for the millions of primary school children. You will need to waive all school fees for secondary schools as well. We need to have Chinese as proud of China as Americans are of America.

There are those who will obfuscate and dissemble and the opportunists will pander to populism. That's why we will need a future generation of Chinese to be able to analyse, differentiate and be critical of opinions.

Then we will slowly do away with censorship. Cross the river by feeling for the rocks less we get swept away. Slowly does it.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.