Author: mark069

System Busy - Please Try Again Later ??? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-12-13 12:42:00 |Display all floors

Reply #5 mark069's post

Hey buddy!

It's a fallacy to complain that it's China whenever you faced with internet problems.
I think it could be likely that your OWN AMERIKAN REGIME GOVERNMENT is responsible for the problem!

ha ha ha

Don't be an arse.....okay Mr. Mark!

Green Dragon

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 13:02:07 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greendragon at 2006-12-13 14:42
Hey buddy!

It's a fallacy to complain that it's China whenever you faced with internet problems.
I think it could be likely that your OWN AMERIKAN REGIME GOVERNMENT is responsible for the problem!

Oh fair go, my Malaysian friend.
This thing which Mark mentioned, and also happens to me when I try to comment from my home internet account, has nothing to do with the "Amerikan" government.

I can make comments from a PC outside my home, but I cannot on my home PC. However my home PC accesses the forum as per normal.

It is clearly a locking out of comment/censorship issue.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 13:15:18 |Display all floors

Look more closely at Northwest's irrelevant quotation

Originally posted by northwest at 2006-12-13 12:21
A new Indiana University study concludes that "news reports by television reporters embedded with American troops in the early days of the Iraq War found little support for critics who question the journalists' objectivity." However, according to the study's abstract, the measure of objectivity was "the use of personal pronouns in embedded and nonembedded reports during CNN coverage of the 'Shock and Awe' campaign" and "the context in which personal pronouns were used by embedded reporters." While "there was more frequent use of personal pronouns by embedded reporters," the researchers judged the reports to be "void of personal values and ideologies." Whether embedded reporters were more or less likely to include the perspectives of Iraqis, United Nations officials, or war critics is not addressed. The media watchgroup FAIR has documented that U.S. television coverage of Iraq is "dominated by government and military officials."

Yes, the report found little support for those who question the reporters objectivity. In other words, the report quoted by Northwest does not find that the journalists were biased.

However, according to the study's abstract, the measure of objectivity was "the use of personal pronouns in embedded and nonembedded reports during CNN coverage of the 'Shock and Awe' campaign" and "the context in which personal pronouns were used by embedded reporters." While "there was more frequent use of personal pronouns by embedded reporters," the researchers judged the reports to be "void of personal values and ideologies."

This bit means that the journalists used the words "I", "me", "him", "her" and "them", more often, but the reports were also devoid of personal values and ideologies. That last bit means that the reporters were not promoting their own personal views in the reports.

Whether embedded reporters were more or less likely to include the perspectives of Iraqis, United Nations officials, or war critics is not addressed.

The study did not evaluate whether the opinions of Iraqis or UN staff was adequately covered. It didn't say that their opinions were given too little or too much prominence, just that the report did not look at this aspect of the coverage.

The media watchgroup FAIR has documented that U.S. television coverage of Iraq is "dominated by government and military officials."

Dominated can mean two things. In the context used here it most likely means that the coverage itself included a major component of interviews or footage of government and military officials. Certainly that's what I recall from TV coverage in the early stages. Lots of boring interviews with military officials or retired military commentators.
It does not explicitly state that these officials set the agenda for the reports, but it does not say that they didn't set the agenda.

So what we can see here is that Northwest has quoted a slab of reporting on a report, and he has highlighted an ambiguous section which does not have a particularly sinister implication.
He has not highlighted other parts of the report which confirm that the reporters have not introduced their own bias into reports they have filed.

Again Northwest has provided evidence which actually goes against the allegation he is trying to make.

JB

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 15:29:49 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2006-12-13 13:15

So what we can see here is that Northwest has quoted a slab of reporting on a report, and he has highlighted an ambiguous section which does not have a particularly sinister implication.
He has not highlighted other parts of the report which confirm that the reporters have not introduced their own bias into reports they have filed.
Again Northwest has provided evidence which actually goes against the allegation he is trying to make.

Strange, I posted a report and asked somebody to comment on this... and then you show yourself up, trying to discredit me with the conclusion. Stop this.

Sit down and listen to what mark want to say. He may have different conclusion to you.
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 15:35:17 |Display all floors

But

I have been getting "Forbidden" messages all morning when I tried to post.

All my recent posts have been complete childish nonsense - so it my not always be sinister censorship

We could be blocked for reasons of dullness, bad taste or bad fashion (I am at present wearing bright pink tousers and an ultramarine tank-top)!
"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 16:40:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pandamonium at 2006-12-13 17:35
I have been getting "Forbidden" messages all morning when I tried to post.

All my recent posts have been complete childish nonsense - so it my not always be sinister censorship

We could be blocked for reasons of dullness, bad taste or bad fashion (I am at present wearing bright pink tousers and an ultramarine tank-top)! ...

While your trousers and tank top are certainly grounds for permanent banishment, the problem referred to is exclusive to the "comment on this article" part of the news site.

The "system busy" message occurs when carefully selected IP addresses try to comment on articles.
It is not really a "system busy" problem as I can consistently comment from a computer at my work site.

There have been cases where the main BBS system has had issues with traffic or comments. It is a separate problem and more likely a genuine system issue.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 16:57:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by northwest at 2006-12-13 17:29
Strange, I posted a report and asked somebody to comment on this... and then you show yourself up, trying to discredit me with the conclusion. Stop this.

Sit down and listen to what mark want to say. He may have different conclusion to you.

I would welcome a response from Mark, even if I disagreed with his conclusions.
You've been posting that same quote around the traps, it doesn't support your case, so I am helping you out by pointing out how it doesn't work for you.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.