Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-18 12:54:21 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chairman at 2006-12-17 07:20
but..

" How are you "...

still rates high on any conversation..

Have to agree there.

But, being particularly interested in Languages and Travel, if I am speaking to someone who has a foreign "accent", I always want to ask where they came from, to find out more about the place, and improve my knowledge of accent variations.

Because some people don't take to these sorts of questions, I usually don't ask unless the topic actually comes up in conversation.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-18 13:01:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mikeghet at 2006-12-18 12:34

i was somewhat recently asked by a 14 year old american girl if china has cars???  seriously, this is no lie.  ignorance is often compounded by arrogance.  when in france i wante ...

You're a "tao tie", you're into cuisine and think about food everywhere!
Well, about the food, I don't care about that, as long as my dear Tilo loves Chinese food...whee....
We got ignorant people everywhere...sometimes the world wouldn't be so funny without them :)

Use magic tools Report

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2006-12-18 13:10:08 |Display all floors

Emucentral

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-18 14:01:14 |Display all floors

How racist and bigoted they sound to the outsiders

Hello,

Have you noticed those who lord it about on this BBS complaining that we whities (red necks, gringos, gweilos, lao wei, anglos, back-packers and all the other terms they use) say bad things about China. I am amazed that they cannot see why! The reason is simple, because their posts ask for it, request it, almost demand that we point out the bad things we see and experience in China. The post by Chanchin to which I am replying is a perfect example. He accuses me of being a racist and so I in defence must point the racism that I experience. Normally I would not post this kind of thing but he calls me a racist so I will respond. No doubt they will skawk and and swear and !!! in reply to this but I will not reply to them again - this takes no intellect, it is a school children's game so I play their game only this once.

Canchin's post is along the lines of the "China is perfect, so if you complain about China you are a racist!" posts and the natural response is for the anglo to say but "this bad thing happened to me and I saw this bad thing and this bad thing, etc. These are real things I saw/experienced in China- I am not a racist". Others post opinions about how bad we Anglos are, but the westerners living in China generally post what they see in China - good and bad. Sadly the racists hunt the BBS for these comments and scream "China hater!", "Racist!"

Oh, having 10 million posts on this BBS will not make them right!!!

Originally posted by canchin at 2006-12-16 11:09
Well you certainly clarified by that line that you are a racist, and a nasty one at that. It also shows that you must be a masochist if your preconceptions of your arrival here would soon see y ...

Oh we know about those people who feel so insecure about themselves and their country that they see a joke as a racist slur. Shame on those, who say their nation is not strong enough to withstand a joke!

Nor was it racist, the "they" being the people I work with. True they are all Chinese but "they" are not the "eople" of China.

So, the people I work with have not helped me to settle in or with any of my problems - even the work related ones (I have been waiting 4 months for printer paper)
They have not paid me for 6 months - always promising "next month"
They have broken every other major promise they have made to me
I have done favours for people around me but they take and they go

In the UK I have never known any worker from overseas be treated in this way by such an institution.

So I tolerate it by making a joke.

But then I am asked:

Quoting from the Canchin:

"Are you a legal worker with a working visa?

Are you registered with the tax bureau as is required by law - if you are working that is?

Are you registered with the local Public Security Bureau as is required by law?

Do you possess permission to be a Temporary Resident?

Are you working while in possession of only a Tourist Visa - in violation of the law in most countries, China inclulded?"

Panda says: Racism occurs where one person makes assumptions about another person because they are a foreigner. The assumption becomes obvious when a foreigner is questioned by someone about their legal status when there are no grounds for suspicion. But I criticised a few Chinese people so I must be a criminal or mentally derranged.

Next comes the favourite stereotype of the foreign worker in China as Canchin wrote, the "backpacking so-called English teacher here cheating Chinese children and their parents"

No I am not, and surely they cheat themselves!

"were you hired for your position from outside the country, provided with a formal contract before enterting the country by a company that has the legal right to do so?"

Yes of course I was, and though I have abided by the contract they have not!!

And finally, a repeat of one question you have already been asked: "When will you be leaving?"

Answer: "When something good comes from this"

Finally, Canchin ask yourself this question? Looking at my post, which is not a personal attack (nor were my other posts) and looking at your post to which I am responding, who do you think in the UK would be in court on charges of slander and racism?

Enjoy yourselves!

[ Last edited by pandamonium at 2006-12-18 02:02 PM ]
"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-18 15:59:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pandamonium at 2006-12-18 16:01
Have you noticed those who lord it about on this BBS complaining that we whities (red necks, gringos, gweilos, lao wei, anglos, back-packers and all the other terms they use) say bad things about China. I am amazed that they cannot see why! The reason is simple, because their posts ask for it, request it, almost demand that we point out the bad things we see and experience in China. The post by Chanchin to which I am replying is a perfect example. He accuses me of being a racist and so I in defence must point the racism that I experience. Normally I would not post this kind of thing but he calls me a racist so I will respond. ...

Absolutely spot on, pandamonium. Canchin is a failure in Canada and so has gone to China to be a big gweilo in a foreign country.

Canchin grovels and licks the boot of the blind patriot lobby to keep in the good books with them.

His snivelling and grovelling will, of course, be just as repugnant to ordinary Chinese with a modicum of self respect. Naturally his defence of the indefensible does no service to the people and government of China who are embarking on needed democratic reforms.

And of course there is the plain simple fact that Canchin's rantings are simply WRONG.

Mencius mentioned a problem with the number of explosions in China (protests I think). Canchin took Mencius to task and accused him of lying and distorting the facts. Mencius then pointed out a China Daily report backing his original comments. I don't believe he got an apology from the morally and intellectually corrupt Canchin.

So, Pandamonium, enjoy the humour of Canchin's rants. Don't for a moment take him seriously. He's just a troll.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-18 16:06:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2006-12-18 15:59

Absolutely spot on, pandamonium. Canchin is a failure in Canada and so has gone to China to be a big gweilo in a foreign country.

Canchin grovels and licks the boot of the blind patriot lobb ...

Now the Whites are commenting on the two BIG WHITE SHARKS!!!

How SO CORRECT!!!

Thxs
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.