Author: pandamonium

Things people ask [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-12-17 03:17:43 |Display all floors
I am a Chinese and I work in Africa.  I have always been shot by those question by Wazungu(whites) or blacks:

A. Questions from the ones who don't know China much:

Is China a communist country?

Answer in my mind:"How do you understand communist?  What is communist?"
Answer they tell me they expected:"Yes.  We gonna come and rescue all of you from the capitalist countries. "

What has been blended into your Chinese green tea?

Answer in my mind:"Nothing else, only tea leaves"
Answer they tell me they expected:"Chinese gov't has blended some stuff with the tea so that I'm temporarily impotent and I can't go with you guys to the "bars" in the night..."

Are you a master of Kongfu?

Answer in my mind:"No. Not every Chinese is a master of Kongfu."
Answer they tell me they expected:"Yes, of course."

What does "Chin Chong Cheon Hong......" mean?

Answer in my mind:"WTF are you talking?"
Answer they tell me they expected:"It means..."

How many children do you have?

Answer in my mind:"I have two."
Answer they tell me they expected:"Only one.  If I have two, the second one will be killed by our gov't"

B. Questions from those who know China well:

N. Korea's nuke test has put your country in a big matata (problem), right?

What is your plan for your weekend? Join us?

What happened to your car, someone kissed your butt?

Answers in my mind and answers they expected were always the same...

Use magic tools Report

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2006-12-17 05:20:47 |Display all floors

I hate to be a bore...

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-17 16:11:21 |Display all floors
Once in a while people will put on music with english words and smile & point toward it asking me if I like it, as if surely they just made me so happy now. Usually I have no idea what the song is, or it's really old, and I'd rather be listening to chinese music.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-18 04:32:29 |Display all floors
Originally posted by afri_simba at 2006-12-17 03:17
I am a Chinese and I work in Africa.  I have always been shot by those question by Wazungu(whites) or blacks:

Is China a communist cou ...

I like your "master of Kongfu" line! Hahahahaha

I told my fellow Canadian friends (when I was young and restless)...that they better be careful and treat me nicely...if not...I could kill them with my bare hands in one blow.:) And the worse thing was that they believed me. I was so bad! But then my Kongfu did pay off when I was attacked by a lunatic on the street in broad daylight in Ottawa. I defended myself adequately and the guy fled.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-18 09:24:29 |Display all floors
Yes, sometimes I also feel very strange that students in China always ask the same question to foreign poeple.

Maybe it is chinese habit when people in China meet a foreign friend.

When you make friends with chinese people, then you will feel relax.  

Don't feel bored when you first go to China. Because everyone don't know you. When people around you are familiar with you, your friends and you will have other topic to talk about rather than the above simple questions.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-18 12:16:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by afri_simba at 2006-12-17 03:17

Is China a communist cou ...

That's pretty general questions....but that's usually some elder people would ask, young people don't ask me that....we have things in common.
Once there's an american asked me question like "why Chinese people seldom express themselves straight-out, they always try to tell you things in another polite way but this way could hurt you more, cause they're not telling the truth" something like that....he might expect an stereotype answer like "yes, we Chinese don't like to express ourselves, that's our culture difference"
I answered: "Some people don't want hurt you and that's their way to turning people down, but that's me you're asking, I'm straight-out"

And online I do meet weird people keep on sending me some incorrect pin yin, some are names(or wrongly pronounced dialect), why should I know those names when they're not written in Chinese characters(and even wrong pin yin), it's not like english the phonogram. Sometimes people calling "you chinese are all xxxx(written in lame pin yin which I cannot distinguish)", so I suggest them back to learn some decent pin yin, and some used ridiculous Chinese characters which don't make sense at all....say nothing of that "hey do you know shaolin, kongfu, kongfu you know?" or "what is like in a Communist country?" or "all the Chinese work for 16 hours a day, is it true?" something like that, I was thinking, you might just as well come and find out yourself, than hear and say...sometimes I told them, yes, china's a terrible jungle and we all struggle to live, we all live in a rice paddy and we don't use computers but use an old abacus....just dunno if they take it true or not
...sometimes you could meet those ridiculous people, there's not many chance though...it's a great fun....

[ Last edited by superkylin at 2006-12-18 12:27 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-18 12:34:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by superkylin at 12-18-2006 12:16

And online I do meet weird people keep on sending me some incorrect pin yin, some are names(or wrongly prounouced dialect), why should I know those names when they're not written in Chinese characters(and even wrong pin yin), sometimes people calling "you chinese are all xxxx(written in lame pin yin which I cannot distinguish)", so I suggest them back to learn some decent pin yin, and some used ridiculous Chinese characters which don't make sense at all....say nothing of that "hey do you know shaolin, kongfu, kongfu you know?" or "what is like in a Communist country?" or "all the Chinese work for 16 hours a day, is it true?" something like that, I was thinking, you might just as well come and find out yourself, than hear and say...sometimes I told them, yes, china's a terrible jungle and we all struggle to live, we all live in a rice paddy and we don't use computers but use an old abacus....just dunno if they take it true or not
...sometimes you could meet those ridiculous people, there's not many chance though...it's a great fun....

i was somewhat recently asked by a 14 year old american girl if china has cars???  seriously, this is no lie.  ignorance is often compounded by arrogance.  when in france i wanted to try the chinese food there and asked a frog (french) where one might be, the response i got was: "you're in france, why would you eat chinese food...and they are dirty".

china is getting more exposure in the US though, so a lot of the ignorance will eventually be dwindled down.  even in my crappy home town they had a chinese festival day (eg dancing, singing, etc) to celebrate the holiday(autumn festival) that is at the beginning of october.  even made the front page...  

[ Last edited by mikeghet at 2006-12-18 02:29 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.