Author: copchen

“大人”、“小人”怎么翻译? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-12-7 11:48:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by hly2006 at 2006-12-7 11:45

;-)
也许一般只用做'法官大人'

hly, that's too exclusive. See my quote below:

Honor Used with His, Her, or Your as a title and form of address for certain officials, such as judges and mayors: Her Honor the Mayor.
If winter comes, can spring be frozen ahead?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-7 11:54:09 |Display all floors
Originally posted by househusband at 2006-12-7 11:48

hly, that's too exclusive. See my quote below:

Honor Used with His, Her, or Your as a title and form of address for certain officials, such as judges and mayors: Her Honor the Mayor.

Yes, you're right. it's from longman, I checked Collins.

It says"

9        honour   honours  
        Judges, and mayors in the United States, are sometimes called your honour or referred to as his honour or her honour.
            I bring this up, your honor, because I think it is important to understand the background of the defendant.
            ...His Honour Judge Brodrick.
        N-VOC: poss N; PRON: poss PRON  (AM) honor  

I'll do some search later;-)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-7 12:20:43 |Display all floors
forgive my stupid late,my lord!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-7 12:25:12 |Display all floors
Just to save you a little time, hly (I don't want to ""一锤定音"):

"Your honor" is used as a form of address for a judge in court.

(It would be considered impolite to address a judge orally in court directly as "Judge" although it would be perfectly OK to refer indirectly to another judge that way, even directly to a judge: "Your Honor, you'll recall that, in his ruling, Judge househusband said…"

(The equivalent is "Your majesty" for the Queen of England—you don't, unless you want to joke or be beheaded, say "Hey, Queen!")

It would be perfectly OK to use the salutation "Dear Judge hly" in a letter.

"Your honor" is also used for mayors in the U.S. "His honor" might be used in newspaper or magazine accounts but almost always for a humorous or sarcastic effect.  You might also see hizzoner — an irreverent, slang version of 'his honor,' in referring to a mayor. One site says "Though not necessarily insulting, its use can imply that the mayor in question may be unworthy of the position, or perhaps [thinks of] himself too highly in the role."

[size=-2][Edit: Added clarification with regard to addressing a judge orally in court and in a letter.]

[ Last edited by jeff_in_sf at 2006-12-6 10:10 PM ]
gavel_k2HRbsexg7me.jpg
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-7 12:49:02 |Display all floors
Thanks, Jeff;-)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-7 13:03:42 |Display all floors

here's what I found;-)

程维藩回到杭州,隔了半个多月,才将原书及吴之荣的禀帖移送浙江巡抚朱昌柞,轻描
淡写的批了几个字,说道投禀者是因赃已革知县,似有挟怨吹求之嫌,请府台大人详查

After his return to Hangzhou, Cheng Weifan allowed more than two weeks to go by before forwarding Wu's letter and copy of the book to the civilian Governor of Zhejiang. He added a brief covering note in which he played the affair down as much as possible, pointing out that the writer of the letter was an ex-magistrate who had been cashiered for dishonesty and who appeared to be motivated by some grudge. He ended by praying His Excellency to kindly look into the matter and deal with it as he thought fit.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-7 13:28:02 |Display all floors
So far we have:
Your Honor ( for judges and the mayors), Your Majesty ( for the king or the queen), Your Excellency ( For high ranking officials), And I might add "Your Highness( for royal members like princes princesses), Your Magnificency (?).
Any more?
If winter comes, can spring be frozen ahead?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.