Author: chinadaily

China Daily to expand in 2007 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-12-12 21:32:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2006-12-12 13:50

There are lots of threads, Northwest, and I can't keep tabs on them all.
Provide me with a link, if you can, and I will check it out. ...

Since you're so busy and full to check the other thread, this is my response to your question.

You asked me which part of Taiwan I lived that make me eligible to comment on Taiwan issue.

My answer: I live in China and certainly Taiwan is a part of China. That qualifies me fully to comment on Taiwan issues.

Then I asked you, why are you so commited to China's internal affairs?
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 00:00:04 |Display all floors
http://www.prwatch.org/taxonomy/term/86?from=60

Embedded Reporters' Pronouns Aren't the Problem
Topics: Iraq | journalism

Source: Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, 2006

A new Indiana University study concludes that "news reports by television reporters embedded with American troops in the early days of the Iraq War found little support for critics who question the journalists' objectivity." However, according to the study's abstract, the measure of objectivity was "the use of personal pronouns in embedded and nonembedded reports during CNN coverage of the 'Shock and Awe' campaign" and "the context in which personal pronouns were used by embedded reporters." While "there was more frequent use of personal pronouns by embedded reporters," the researchers judged the reports to be "void of personal values and ideologies." Whether embedded reporters were more or less likely to include the perspectives of Iraqis, United Nations officials, or war critics is not addressed. The media watchgroup FAIR has documented that U.S. television coverage of Iraq is "dominated by government and military officials."
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 03:01:24 |Display all floors

Interesting, north

But what does that have to do with emu or myself? We're not from the US - we're from Australia and the UK respectively. We don't challenge you personally over North Korea's lack of freedom, do we?
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 06:30:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by northwest at 2006-12-12 23:32
My answer: I live in China and certainly Taiwan is a part of China. That qualifies me fully to comment on Taiwan issues.

Then I asked you, why are you so commited to China's internal affairs?

My answer, which has as much validity as yours, is;
I live on Earth, and certainly China and Taiwan are part of the Earth. That qualifies me fully to comment on China issues.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 06:39:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by northwest at 2006-12-13 02:00
The media watchgroup FAIR has documented that U.S. television coverage of Iraq is "dominated by government and military officials." ...

Brilliant work, Northwest.
You have found an example, of a military conflict, and where the day to day existence of the media is totally dependent on the US military. There is no doubt that the television coverage will be "dominated by government and military officials". As if we couldn't work that out for ourselves.

Now do you know that many US, British, Australian and other media also sent TV crews to parts of Iraq which were not embedded with US troops?
This was because the media in these countries know full well that "embedding" is going to get only one side of the story, and they wanted the full picture.

As mencius pointed out, your continual quoting of US media or government behaviour as being representative of the west in general, or Australia or Britain in particular, simply shows how IGNORANT AND STUPID you appear to be when attempting to make your case.

If you have a complaint about Australian government or media, by all means make it known here, USING EXAMPLES OF AUSTRALIAN BEHAVIOUR, NOT AMERICAN BEHAVIOUR.

If you have a complaint about British government or media, by all means make it known here, USING EXAMPLES OF BRITISH BEHAVIOUR, NOT AMERICAN BEHAVIOUR.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 10:10:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2006-12-13 06:30
My answer, which has as much validity as yours, is;
I live on Earth, and certainly China and Taiwan are part of the Earth. That qualifies me fully to comment on China issues.

So why don't you keep busy by fighting for aborigines issue, it's in your neighborhood. We won't because it's too far.
You may also clean the pollution made by your corpaorations in Papua, because it's your colony. We won't because it's not our business.
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 10:13:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mencius at 2006-12-13 03:01
But what does that have to do with emu or myself? We're not from the US - we're from Australia and the UK respectively. We don't challenge you personally over North Korea's lack of freedom, do we?

Of course we don't, but UK and Aussies' invasion forces in Iraq share the same fate, don't you? All your forces becoming 'liberators' in their news. Yeah I admit it, you must be happy with this.

Of course you won't attack and insult US manipulated news, because you need them bad... for your own interest.

[ Last edited by northwest at 2006-12-13 10:18 AM ]
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.