Author: paulmike

how to translate it ??? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-12-4 11:01:53 |Display all floors
Thank you, Jeff. I find celine's version a bit "dazzling" too. She has done an amazing job. Hasn't she?
If winter comes, can spring be frozen ahead?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-4 14:55:44 |Display all floors
I loved celine's version also! It was amazing. (All the versions were good, in fact, but I especially liked her use of "dazzling" and "golden." "Cranny" is a very interesting, appropriate word.)

One grammar note: the past tense of cast is cast: The sun cast his slanting rays through the cranny…

(FYI: In contrast: the past tense of broadcast is either broadcast or broadcasted.)
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-5 19:27:56 |Display all floors

thank you !!

thanks a lot ,

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-6 14:38:39 |Display all floors

Literal translation is almos aways dead wrong

See how difficult it is to translate Chinese into English. A literal translation using the dictionary is almos always dead wrong.

A translation, taking into account the culture, circumstances, topic at hand, general drift of the conversatio and the atmosphere is a better way to go.

I think that is the problems with a lot of news reports that rile up both sides of the Pacific.

I am glad someone is making an effort.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-6 15:10:25 |Display all floors
holy crap...u guys crazy...

how can u translate this kinda chinese master piece into english?

will be alota missunderstanding~~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-7 18:23:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jeff_in_sf at 2006-12-4 03:47
Ha ha. That story's funny.

I can't think of a word in English that means squeeze something into a container so that its shape resembles the container, except "to mold."

[color=#CC00 ...

Hahah, dear Jeff, may I voice my different opinion here? Doing literature is totally different from doing word researches. It mainly depdends on your instinct...

But I still have to thank for your great insightful contributions!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-7 21:31:37 |Display all floors
阳光穿墙而入,斜晖在东墙上涂满灿烂的金黄
As the sunlight filters in through the East Wall, a glorious patch of golden yellow is painted on it.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.