Author: paulmike

how to translate it ??? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-12-3 12:40:25 |Display all floors
Originally posted by hly2006 at 2006-12-3 12:04
The sunshine is slanting through the windowpane, painting the eastern wall golden.

The slanting sun saw  through the windowpane, produced a golden eastern wall .

The sunlight came/(sneaked?)  ...

saw  through? well, "peeped into" might sound more dramatic.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-3 12:55:35 |Display all floors
阳光穿墙而入,斜晖在东墙上涂满灿烂的金黄

Sunlight sneaked in over the west wall, painting the east wall fully golden.
( This is how I understand the Chinese sentence. The meaning is clear. )

Sunlight stole through the west wall, fully painting the east wall golden.
( Here we don't know how the sunlight managed to get through. Not a faithful translation maybe. But I like the phrase " to steal through" because it leaves a little room for the imagination.)

[ Last edited by househusband at 2006-12-3 12:57 PM ]
If winter comes, can spring be frozen ahead?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-3 14:13:36 |Display all floors
I like any of these:

Slanting sunshine spilled through the windows…

The sunlight sneaked in, slanting across the windowpane…

The sunlight peeped through, slanting across the windowpane… [adapted from coolmax's]

Sunlight sneaked in over the west wall…

Sunlight stole through the west wall…

I agree with househusband about being vague about just how that sunlight "gets through" the wall. You could say "stole in over…"

I'm not that keen about the word "paint" in reference to sunlight—the golden glow from sunlight is just different from something painted. I like hly's "making the eastern wall glow brilliantly."

You could even get away with something like "Slanting sunshine spilled through the windows, suffusing the entire east wall in golden sunlight."
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-3 14:18:27 |Display all floors
阳光穿墙而入,斜晖在东墙上涂满灿烂的金黄
The sun casted his slanting rays through the cranny, and left the eastern wall dazzling with golden shine.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-3 14:44:54 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jeff_in_sf at 2006-12-3 14:13

You could even get away with something like "Slanting sunshine spilled through the windows, suffusing the entire east wall in golden sunlight."

" Suffuse" is a good word. When I searched my brain for a fitting verb in this context, the option I came up with was "saturate". Obviously it is a poor fit in here. I remember I once read an article written by an overweight lady (a native speaker of Eng), in which she shows a tremendous self esteem for her being overweight. She even makes humor out of her physique by describing how she on one occasion took a seat in a chair. She says she "saturated" the chair " in all dimensions"( I'm probably paraphrasing). So it seems, when you saturate something, that thing must resemble a container. Is my understanding correct, Jeff?

[ Last edited by househusband at 2006-12-3 07:45 PM ]
If winter comes, can spring be frozen ahead?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-3 14:50:03 |Display all floors
Here'are some more usages, hope it helps:)

http://sara.natcorp.ox.ac.uk/cgi-bin/saraWeb?qy=Suffuse

[ Last edited by hly2006 at 2006-12-3 02:52 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-4 03:47:38 |Display all floors
Originally posted by househusband at 2006-12-2 10:44 PM
I remember I once read an article written by an overweight lady (a native speaker of Eng), in which she shows a tremendous self esteem for her being overweight. She even makes humor out of her physique by describing how she on one occasion took a seat in a chair. She says she "saturated" the chair " in all dimensions"( I'm probably paraphrasing). So it seems, when you saturate something, that thing must resemble a container. Is my understanding correct, Jeff?
Ha ha. That story's funny.

I can't think of a word in English that means squeeze something into a container so that its shape resembles the container, except "to mold."

saturate - infuse or fill completely, to soak, impregnate, or imbue thoroughly or completely: to saturate a sponge with water; "The recollection was saturated with sunshine" (Vladimir Nabokov)..

It doesn't necessarily (and often does not) mean that the thing resembles the container. If you saturate a paper towel with water, all you have is a soggy mess! :)

The overweight lady's usage is intended to be humorous not only because it is self-deprecating but because it uses the word in a way to suggest that she could "saturate" the chair. (If she had said, "I molded myself into the chair" it would have had a similar meaning but "saturated" sounds even funnier.) If she had said she had "smothered" the chair (obviously a different meaning), the humor would be about the same.

"Saturate," as you said, househusband, is not quite the right word here. In reference to the light of a setting sun, its rays slanting on to an eastern wall, "saturate" seems a bit, well, too intense..

"saturated" is also used in reference to color (of the highest intensity of hue; free from admixture of white)—a "saturated" yellow is a brilliant, intense yellow, for example.

"suffuse" is often used to describe light and color, as in "The sky was suffused with a warm pink color." It suggests a kind of softness, although I am not sure that is in the definition.

celine's phrase works with a little modification: "dazzling with golden sunshine" or "dazzling with golden light" but it gives the impression of more intense light.

I might change my sentence  to "Slanting sunshine spilled through the windows, suffusing the entire east wall in golden light" (sunlight → light) to avoid the repetition of "sunshine" and "sunlight."

That resource from the British Library is great, hly! Thanks for sharing that…
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.