Author: northwest

Asia's ugly duckling: Australia [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-11-25 01:23:07 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mencius at 2006-11-24 23:36
Looks to me like there's a bit of jealousy about Australia. Could it be because it ranks 3rd on the UN's Human Development Index, whereas other members' countries come in lower?

Jealousy? A little bit maybe... just like in the US, the most powerful nation in this globe, which also at the same time comsume more than 1/3 of earth's resources. I envy their lifestyle... but how many globe needed to support that kind of lavish one?
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-25 01:24:54 |Display all floors
Where's that emuc?

He's so committed to China cause... why he didn't came here and "enlighten" us on how he think about this ugly duckling.
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-25 02:23:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by northwest at 24-11-2006 17:23

Jealousy? A little bit maybe... just like in the US, the most powerful nation in this globe, which also at the same time comsume more than 1/3 of earth's resources. I envy their lifestyle... but how many globe needed to support that kind of lavish one?

Does Australia consume as much resources as the US per head of population? Their ranking on the HDI chart isn't just about GDP per capita (PPP). It's also about life expectancy at birth, adult literacy, education, etc.

Of course if everyone lived like the most energy-hungry countries I don't think we could manage it. But unfortunately that's the way most of the world is going - China's fast growth being an example, with India coming along too. So governments across the world are going to have to make some tough decisions in the future in enforcing anti-pollution regulations and curbing overly excessive life-styles. For example, cars that are not fuel-efficient should simply be banned. No one needs a car with a huge engine.

Where's that emuc?

He's so committed to China cause... why he didn't came here and "enlighten" us on how he think about this ugly duckling.

Did you consider the time difference? The guy might just have a life that requires him to sleep. :)

[ Last edited by mencius at 2006-11-24 06:28 PM ]
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-25 02:50:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mencius at 2006-11-25 02:23
Did you consider the time difference? The guy might just have a life that requires him to sleep. ...

Yeah I should consider this... 3:00 AM here, time to bed.
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-25 06:31:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by northwest at 24-11-2006 18:50

Yeah I should consider this... 3:00 AM here, time to bed.

Don't fall into the trap of staying online to just post on forums so late. I did that once or twice and it really ruined the following day for me. There's nothing that can't wait until morning - though I'm sure it will be morning by the time you read this.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-25 15:52:55 |Display all floors

Australia is the 3rd best in human development?

Originally posted by mencius at 2006-11-24 23:36
Looks to me like there's a bit of jealousy about Australia. Could it be because it ranks 3rd on the UN's Human Development Index, whereas other members' countries come in lower?

There are those of you here who distort reality and play mind-games. I notice Australians are the top of the list doing this psych thing.

I agree and I concede, Australia is the best on some form of development, and here is the proof. White Australia did its even best, impressive:

Diabetes 'threatens to wipe out Aborigines'
Jill Stark
November 13, 2006

THE Aboriginal population of Australia could be wiped out by the end of the century unless urgent action is taken to curb a global diabetes disaster described as the "biggest epidemic in world history".

International experts will converge on Melbourne today for a three-day crisis summit convened to put pressure on the United Nations to tackle the threat of extinction facing indigenous communities around the world.

The so-called "Cocacolanisation" of traditional cultures, with communities adopting Western lifestyles and fast-food diets, has been blamed for a rapid rise in type 2 diabetes.

An estimated one in five indigenous Australians has diabetes. Inadequate access to health care means many cases are undiagnosed, resulting in blindness, kidney disease and amputations.

"If we don't do something, there is a real chance that Australia's indigenous community will be wiped out by the end of the century," said Monash University professor of diabetes Paul Zimmet, who is one of the organisers of the forum being staged by the International Diabetes Federation.

"The world needs to act now if we're to deal with this problem, which threatens to consume world economies and bankrupt health systems.

"We are dealing with the biggest epidemic in world history."

Professor Zimmet said the Aboriginal community had one of the lowest life expectancies in the world. For every diagnosed case of diabetes, up to four went undiagnosed, he said.

"Fatty foods and foods rich in refined sugars are being eaten by these communities instead of their traditional foods," he said. "Then you've also got … indigenous people who leave their homeland and come into the city, where they meet the same thing. This really is the biggest epidemic Australia's ever faced in our indigenous community."

There are an estimated 350 million indigenous people worldwide. The diabetes epidemic is mirrored in Asia, the Pacific, Canada, New Zealand and North and South America. Up to half the adults on the Pacific island of Nauru and 45 per cent of Sioux and Pima Indians in the US have type 2 diabetes. In Canada and the Torres Strait Islands, 30 per cent of the indigenous populations have the disease. In the Torres Strait, children as young as six are being diagnosed and some are suffering heart attacks and renal failure in their early teens.

The link between obesity and diabetes is so well established that experts refer to "diabesity" as a disease in its own right.

Canadian expert Stewart Harris said diabetes had replaced infectious diseases as the main threat to indigenous people.

"Obesity in particular is driving the epidemic and … debilitating complications are often evident by the age of 30," Professor Harris said.

Future generations are also at risk. One in five pregnancies among indigenous women is affected by diabetes and cases will rise by about 5 to 10 per cent a year without intervention.

Delegates at today's Diabetes in Indigenous People Forum will look at the economic burden of the disease.

Professor Zimmet said governments in developed countries, including Australia, were reluctant to make changes. He called for a United Nations resolution declaring diabetes an international disaster.

www.idf.org

www.unitefordiabetes.org

http://www.theage.com.au/news/na ... /1163266413553.html

Beware, China, of white Australia. "Evil" is not a word I have used on this forum, and a word I eschew from using because of its connotations. I use it now, on white Australia.

Chinadaily, you know "Who Is", don't you? It isn't cestmoi. Follow the audit trail and tell me this isn't so.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-25 15:54:53 |Display all floors

Who is

Umm, ask you system guys... the internet and networking people, not the business side of CD.

Any further queries, come back to cestmoi

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.