Author: bizarre

about thanksgiving~~~ [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-11-23 15:01:01 |Display all floors
Thanksgiving in my family is one of the 3 BIG holidays of the year. All the cousins, aunts, uncles get together, maybe 20-30 people. One thing we do while everyone is eating is go around the table(s) and everyone says something they are thankful for. Since we won't be there this year, I sent mine through email, and I chose a certain cousin of mine to read it for me. Usually it's short, just name a couple things you're thankful for, but mine is quite long this time. I thought I'd share it with you all:

(some names have been changed to protect the innocent (that's what they say on TV shows when they need to hide someone's identity))

- I'm thankful that my son and I got to the other side of the planet safely.
- I'm thankful that my ancestors were brave enough to travel to other countries (in my case, America).
- I'm thankful to everyone's ancestors, in every country, who tried their best to give their children and grandchildren better lives.
- I'm thankful to be able to touch and see things that are hundreds or thousands of years old.
- I'm thankful that my son touched something that Buddha touched, and is seeing some things from new perspectives.
- I'm thankful to all the people who are patient with me when I can't say what I mean, and they smile anyway and are so excited to teach me even one new word.
- I'm thankful to the guy who helped me buy bananas when he saw that the other guy was ignoring me.
- I'm thankful to all the poor people here who pick the bottles & cardboard out of the garbage, and pedal them away in huge bundles to recycle them.
- I'm thankful to the guards who work at my building, who stand out in all weather 24 hours a day, knowing who comes in & out of the gates, and smile every time we pass.
- I'm thankful that the world, even though it has so many troubles, is mostly open and friendly and free enough that we can visit other parts of it.
- Most of all, I'm thankful to feel like my family will always be there no matter what, wherever we all may roam.

(I have other cousins who have traveled & lived in other places within the US, that's why I said "we all may roam")
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-23 15:01:04 |Display all floors

e-cards

Thanksgiving must be today.

Some Chinese people are sending me e-cards.

I'm not American (sorry, strictly USAese) but heck what's the difference?

I'm British, so the history goes like this:

Some guys went to the Americas and were thankful for it. Then they got stroppy and wanted to be a separate country so they had a war with Britain. We British got bored half-way through this war and let them keep that vast wasteland they seemed to want so much. They shot most of the native American Indians for us, but we never got round to getting our colony back in line.

So to this day the USA remains a renegade Province of Great Britain, but we will get you back one day.

Oh, and yes we invented the submarine, Hershey bars, cola and the ENIGMA code all ours.

Last thing, Mel Gibson - don't even think about making another film set in Britain without buying a map first!!

All the above is correct, yes - no one will have any disagreement with my factual historical acount? I mean who could disagree?
:)
"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-23 15:06:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pandamonium at 2006-11-23 15:01

I'm British, so the history goes like this ...

WHO BOTHERS TO REMEMBER THAT???
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-27 21:19:40 |Display all floors

that was great!

Originally posted by pandamonium at 11-23-2006 15:01

I'm British, so the history goes like this ...

very funny...   

btw, mel gibson is from australia....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-28 11:12:44 |Display all floors

Mel Gibson

Yes, thanks for reminding me, Mel Gibson is Austailian but now so "Hollywood" there's no hope for him.

Now, Les Patterson (Dame Edna) was a fine Australian - reinforcing all those stereotypes we poms love!
"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.