Views: 4877|Replies: 15

Can you help me solve a question about grammar. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-11-18 16:16:47 |Display all floors
How did the differences _____ American English, British English and Australian English ______?
A. between , come up       B. among, come up      C. between , come about     D. among, come about

Which one will you choose ? why? Especially about the preposition of among and between here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-18 16:21:06 |Display all floors

D

D, maybe

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-18 16:49:46 |Display all floors

Reply #2 bella4u's post

But the answer is C. So I am a little confused.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-18 17:09:59 |Display all floors

C is right

Compare between any two of  the three.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-19 00:08:59 |Display all floors

C

thats the answer, correct me if i am wrong

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-19 02:25:48 |Display all floors
We use "between", not "among", when talking about differences concerning any number of things, and not just two things.

Also, "come about" would be appropriate here, meaning "happen".

"Come up" means to become an issue at this point of time. But that's not what this question is about.

The question is about how the differences happened in history, and not about why those differences are being discussed at this point of time.

The correct answer is therefore C.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-2 14:37:40 |Display all floors

i think the correct answer is C

I looked up the dictionary to see the diffiences.
we usually use "between" to discrible two things , only if  there are relations between each of them , we still use between no matter how many  things are to be compared
we usually  use 'among" to modify three or more things .
in this sentence , we compare Amercian English to British English, Amercian English to Australian English and still British English to Australian English ,so there is relation between each of them .
this is just my personal opinion, if you want to discuss with me, my qq is 407349951

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.