Author: vinvin

怎么翻译:老乡见老乡,两眼泪汪汪??? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-11-22 15:25:23 |Display all floors
哈哈,好像你有这样臭美的亲身体验哦。

Originally posted by aliceqiu at 2006-11-22 15:20

:)大概你比较臭美,经常照镜子,所以当你看到镜子中的你时,就像你用左手摸自己的右手,已经毫无感觉了。(Just kidding!)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-22 15:29:46 |Display all floors
Originally posted by laoxianggg at 2006-11-22 15:25
哈哈,好像你有这样臭美的亲身体验哦。

恰恰相反,我属于女生中不爱照镜子的那一类。
BTW,幸亏我不是爱照镜子臭美的范例,否则就被你反将了一车。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-22 15:55:13 |Display all floors
Meeting the villagers in tears !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-27 11:33:27 |Display all floors
other versions come into my mind:

at the very moment the (country, county, town....)folks meet each other, they can't help crying in resonance.

at the very moment the (country, county, town....)folks meet each other, their eyes are about to drop tears in resonance.

(oh, dear friends and my pals on the board, i wanna say sth here. so many times i have the feeling that we just display our translations, but actually we miss the chance to know if it's acceptable to foreign ears or is it ok in phrasing, structure or sth else. so that's really a pity, i think.  i'm just in that category who are always open to hear from people of their opinions and ideas, esp sharp criticism. and i believe this can make real progress. so, guys, just PM me or tell me directly on the board if you think you can help me sth. and in this respect, i'd like to thank coolmax because he always correct my mistakes.

i like these two translations (quoted from above):

meeting people from home brings tears to the eyes.

i guess this version can be smart because it avoids the issue of how to translate the chinese term 老乡 in a proper way.

eyes of the same origin, once they meet, are to rain.

i feel the line is very beautiful and it conveys the original message of that chinese line very well.
私は花の子です。名前はルンルンです。。。。。。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-27 12:43:29 |Display all floors
Originally posted by qinger at 2006-11-26 07:33 PM
[actually we miss the chance to know if it's acceptable to foreign ears or is it ok in phrasing, structure or sth else
Oh, I don't want to let you down, qinger, so I'll give you my opinion on some of them:
Fellow villager to fellow villager; tears to tears.
This one echoes the pattern of the original and  is nicely poetic—it would be used in a poetry piece but not a regular piece of prose writing.
Meeting people from home brings tears to the eyes.
This one is nicely put and is perfectly colloquial English.

"…tears cascade" from patricxu is a nicely evocative phrase. Perhaps something like "Meeting fellow villagers brings a cascade of tears"?

"People from home" is one way we would say it in the US. "Fellow villagers" would be perfectly understandable if the reference  were meeting people from the 乡下 in China or somewhere else.

resonance
Although resonance has the meaning of "relation of mutual understanding or trust and agreement between people" or "richness or significance, especially in evoking an association or strong emotion," its primary meaning has to do with sound. So a native listener has to think "Wait, that has to do with shared emotion, not with the sound of their crying."
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-27 14:02:58 |Display all floors
thank you, Jeff.:)
A
eyes of the same origin, once they meet, are to rain.

B
Fellow villager to fellow villager; tears to tears.

i don't know how do you think of version A. what i unexpected is that you thought highly of version B. in term of the poetic effect, i think version A is not bad. in my view, i think version B conveys nothing. it sticks to the form of the original Chinese text strictly, meanwhile it makes quite a loss of the meaning. it would confuse people, i 'm sure.

[ Last edited by qinger at 2006-11-27 02:06 PM ]
私は花の子です。名前はルンルンです。。。。。。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-27 17:32:03 |Display all floors
With regard to B:

There are similar patterns in English—face to face, heart to heart, cheek to cheek, toe to toe—all with specific meanings and none of them particularly poetic. "Fellow villager to fellow villager; tears to tears" is sufficiently similar to these that a native speaker would have no problem discerning the meaning.

With regard to A:

The phrase "eyes of the same origin, once they meet, are to rain" would be utterly mystifying (or, frankly speaking, worse) to a native speaker.

"Eyes of the same origin" would be very difficult to interpret and, quite honestly, might be wrongly interpreted as meaning something very different  than "being from the same village." Of course it depends on the context. ("Eyes from the same village" avoids the problem but there are others.)

"Eyes…are to rain" is not a construction or a metaphor found in English. "X is/are to rain" (where "rain" is intransitive) is not said in English, even if the X is "clouds" except in a sentence like "We have a plan if it is to rain." I suppose you could say something like "rockets (or bombs) are to rain" (because rockets/bombs are said to "rain down" on a terrified populace) but it would be a little awkward.

Also, eyes "raining" as a metaphor for crying or tears is exceeding rare—you might see a phrase using "eyes" and "raining tears" but not often. ("Tears" and "rain" used together in some way is more common.)

Sorry, qinger. I know you are fond of this phrase but it doesn't quite work well in English. I hope you aren't too disappointed.
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.