Author: chairman

INTERESTING SUBJECT: [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-11-4 14:01:15 |Display all floors
Sorry for my poor English.
You are the world

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-4 14:02:52 |Display all floors

curiously enough.......

11th September is also celebrated as a defeat in another small nation.

I'm talking about Catalunya.  Today a part of Spain. Catalunya's capital city is Barcelona!

The 11th of september of 1714, the catalans lost their independence to the troops of the Borbon king Felipe (Philipp) the Vth. From then on, Catalunya has never been an independent state any more.

After years in the dark in 1932, with the proclamation of the Republiv, Catalunya regained a certain independent status, only to loose it a few years later with the victory of Franco, who not only forbid any celebrations for the 11th of September, but even banned and strongly punished the display of symbols, language or songs.

After 40 years, in 1979, after the death of the dictator, Catalunya, an autonmous region by then in Spain, celebrated the 11th of september again. Millions, believe, me I was there, millions jumped to the streets in what today still drives tears of emotion for those who we attended. As one only soul and under one only slogan "Visca,visca,visca Catalunya!" (should be translated as long life Catalunya!).

Today Catalunya is an autonomous region inside Spain. Catalunya has own lwas in many areas, rules its own education and shares the tax effort with the rest of Spain. While in China, I frequently think of Macau and Hong Kong as similar. One country, two systems!

But the 11th of September of 1714 Catalunya lost a battle to a King. In 1979, Catalunya won the war of autonomy.

[ Last edited by longzhou at 2006-11-4 02:06 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2006-11-4 14:07:09 |Display all floors

Thanks for that...

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-4 14:10:32 |Display all floors

it's not the fact of defeat that is celebrated

chairman,

it's not the fact of defeat that is celebrated, it is rather about honouring the victims and the heroes.

... and for example Poland celebrates anniversaries of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ko%C5%9Bciuszko_Uprising
so "celebrating defeats" is not an American-only thing. :)

Use magic tools Report

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2006-11-4 14:14:02 |Display all floors

Celeste....no I guess not....

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-4 14:50:31 |Display all floors

chairman,

It was strange for me that you thought it was strange.

I think there's a different attitude to failure in the Western and in the Chinese culture.
In Western culture, being able to face defeat and failure in a constructive way is valued and people respect the sole fact of trying hard to do something, even if the person fails.
In China it's a bit different, as far as I know.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-4 15:07:30 |Display all floors
So different culture has different viewpoint of defeat, think about that, we will understand their celebration for it.
You are the world

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.