Author: taro520

she slept late yesterday是说她昨天睡到很晚才起来么? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-11-6 09:54:14 |Display all floors
Jeff, i guess the problem doesn't lie in so many over-xxxs(dazzling eyes really), at least for me. so confirm me about this please:

if i wanna say i went to bed late yesterday and the word sleep must be included, can the way we say it only be right by adding "get to",etc before the word sleep?

i got to sleep late yesterday. or
i fell sleep late yesterday.  or
i went to sleep late yesterday.

[ Last edited by qinger at 2006-11-6 09:55 AM ]
私は花の子です。名前はルンルンです。。。。。。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-6 10:05:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by qinger at 2006-11-5 20:54
Jeff, i guess the problem doesn't lie in so many over-xxxs(dazzling eyes really), at least for me. so confirm me about this please:

if i wanna say i went to bed late yesterday and the word sleep must be included ...

I didn't get to sleep until quite late last night.
That's why I slept late this morning.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-6 11:14:57 |Display all floors
My first thought about it was that it meant 迟起. I was a bit surprised that it had led to a heated debate. I'm not going to draw a conclusion or add anything helpful. But the sentence " I slept late last night" as cited by edchan, to my ear at least, doesn't sound wrong. You can say that it should be " I went to sleep late last night". But sometimes, people just say things in a casual way. When it gets casual, it's hard to apply a rule. That's exactly how language evolves. Scholars define it. People say it. They are not always in agreement.
If winter comes, can spring be frozen ahead?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-6 14:29:02 |Display all floors
Originally posted by househusband at 2006-11-5 07:14 PM
the sentence " I slept late last night"…to my ear at least, doesn't sound wrong
Well, out of curiosity, (before your post) I had asked some friends—two native speakers—at lunch about that phrase and the similar "I slept at 3 AM" and they both said it did not sound right to them. I'm definitely not saying that as "proof" of my position, househusband—I'm just
saying it was not my own personal idiosyncrasy.

I think that go to sleep, get to sleep, fall asleep are idiomatic in the sense of having a meaning that is not readily ascertainable from the individual words.

I totally agree that
When it gets casual, it's hard to apply a rule. That's exactly how language evolves. Scholars define it. People say it. They are not always in agreement.
I guess
  • on this board, with non-native speakers,  I'm more inclined to be a little more "prescriptive"—"here's how native speakers tend to say it," and
  • in this specific case, really, if someone said  I slept late last night, I'd have to think about what that meant, at least for a second or two. Of course, I'd almost certainly reach the conclusion that it means what we think it means but I'd still have to pause for a split second.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-6 15:31:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jeff_in_sf at 2006-11-6 14:29
Well, out of curiosity, (before your post) I had asked some friends—two native speakers—at lunch about that phrase and the similar "I slept at 3 AM" and they both said it did not sound  ...

Thank you, Jeff.  No doubt I will consider your point. For now, it's the phrase " I slept at 3AM" that gets me wondering. I admit I've never read such a sentence in formal, good writing. And I know in its place there can be found many idiomatic expressions like " went to bed", " fell asleep". But why it doesn't sound incorrect to me I have no idea. Perhaps I need to adjust my understanding and refine my sense of the language.

[ Last edited by househusband at 2006-11-6 03:32 PM ]
If winter comes, can spring be frozen ahead?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-6 15:59:32 |Display all floors
he was sleeping late. 晚起。
he slept late. 晚睡。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-6 16:02:40 |Display all floors
Originally posted by allinall at 2006-11-6 15:59
he was sleeping late. 晚起。
he slept late. 晚睡。

哥们儿, 这么多高手(回帖的有语言学者,有英语是母语者)已经回答清楚了, 您就别添乱了, 成么?
Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.