Views: 5199|Replies: 10

Happiness is not something you experience but something you remember. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-11-3 18:08:03 |Display all floors
"Happiness is not something you experience but something you remember."
I discovered this sentence a few days ago and I found it interesting and to some extent reasonable. Do you agree with me?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-3 21:38:13 |Display all floors
Hmm.
To me....
"Experience" is a word that suggests the present tense; when you experience something you are noticing it in the moment it is happening.
"Remember" is a word that suggests the past tense; when you remember something you are reviewing it in your mind, it already happened.

So what I'm seeing first in that sentence is the suggestion that happiness does not actually happen in any present moment, it can only be experienced through memory, not through actual real-time perception. That's weird. So is it saying we never experience happiness, we only put that label on an event later? I don't think I do that. I think I can experience happiness in the present. If I am standing on a mountain, enjoying the beautiful view, feeling peaceful and happy, I am experiencing happiness. Why am I not?

Yes, of course I can remember it later and feel happiness again, but I felt it in the moment on the mountain too, probably stronger than in the later memories.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-3 22:45:08 |Display all floors
I said this sentense is kind of reasonable because I think people sometimes treasure a thing more after you've "lost" it, that "lost" means you cannot come back to the very time, the very place again anytime. At times, we tend to ignore something that is happening to us, but then realize its precious value. Even the sad tears could turn to the tears accompanied with smile.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-4 08:06:07 |Display all floors
hm... I agree with Freaky.
it's more like, PAST --> PRESENT --> FUTURE.
one can't be without the other.  If you were to build a building, you would start with the foundation right?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-4 10:45:40 |Display all floors

A good recommendation

Freakyqi & Lotus_flower,
I really agree with your opinions, here I have one more idea about it. Maybe we can consider that “happiness” in memory can last for long time, even the whole lifetime, while in the very time it is happening is just an instant feeling, so it seems to mean that the first one is more treasure for us and can be kept  by us. Anyway, I suppose it is reasonable in a way. Lotus-flower, thanks for your recommendation.
Whatever happens, I am still keeping on hope.

Yours,
Sandy

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-4 14:37:56 |Display all floors
happiness is something that you remember...cos we have seletive memories..we select what we want to memorize...and most cases...these are happy moments...maybe thts why...happiness is what u remember...?
I don't know if I like you or love you, want you or need you, all I know is I love the feeling I get when I'm near you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-4 15:48:29 |Display all floors
happiness is staying with my mama!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.