Views: 7941|Replies: 12

Good Movies to study English [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-10-31 11:29:43 |Display all floors
Study English through movies is a good method, indeed there are lots of classic films, but not all of them are fit for us to learn English.
    My personal favorit is "Matrix" series, because the dialogues are perfectly designed and with a slow pace, moreover, the story is based on the bible, see it several times you'll know more about Christianity and American religious culture. Here are some of other good movies:
    Fast Track(an old and not famous US movie), Sword Fish(perfect front line by John Travolta), Final Fantasy, American Pie series(good movie to know American culture), Sin City

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-31 19:17:25 |Display all floors
I think historical films are also useful. They often have a lot of dialogues, and usually a very cultivated form of English is used (as used in royal courts), and besides they give information about the country's history as well. The Black Adder series is a sort of a funny version of those historical films (really funny ), but again a cultivated and witty form of British is used. I learned a lot from it :)

There's also a kind of film in which less cultivated language is used, but this may also be useful as you'll probably talk with normal people instead of kings Examples are: "Lock, stock and two smoking barrels" (1998) and "Snatch" (2000).

My advice is to watch all kinds of films, with all kinds of accents of English. A lot of people end up only understanding typical American English or the most cultivated British accents, while a majority of English speakers (native and non-native) don't use such accents.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-1 13:49:47 |Display all floors
Yes, do try to learn from many different kinds of movies with all kinds of English accents. Some cartoon movies like Finding Nemo or The Lion King are great too.

By the way, American Pie does not represent American culture. Very few cultures, unless they happen to be very primitive, can be represented by one movie.

Also, The Matrix is not based on the Bible. In fact, it is much closer to eastern philosophies including HInduism and Buddhism.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-1 17:52:20 |Display all floors
Yeah, I heard so, people who believe in different religions all said the story is based on their lections, but I still think it's more like Christianity.
For accents, it is right there are different cultures mixed in th American movies, mostly Italian, Arabic, Acian, African... Al Pacino is my favorit actor, and he represents the Italian accent, which you will also find in many other films like God Father or the tv show "the Sopranos".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-2 20:08:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by beaksw at 2006-11-1 17:52
For accents, it is right there are different cultures mixed in th American movies, mostly Italian, Arabic, Acian, African..

Exactly, and also British, Scottish, Irish and many more :) Even though these accents are spoken by native speakers of English, they still differ greatly from American English (which is only just an accent itself).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-4 22:35:05 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-5 19:16:03 |Display all floors
I like Braveheart, not the accent of the film, but the background music.
It's a Scotland bagpipe at a guess.
FREEDOM

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.