Views: 9867|Replies: 14

Don't be modest [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-10-30 20:53:07 |Display all floors
People said modesty is a character because other person will feel you are easygoing. But I  found that always be modest is not good for your performance. If you are always modest,people will think you are the just so so guy what you referred.You will found you lack of trust and support and you are crushed into a embarrassing position.Because human is a animal who compliment the strong guy and look down on the weak guy.So no matter how conversant the person are,don't talk about your weak points with them and talk less about your difficulties.Just boast how a good guy you are, then you will earn the other people's trust and support.Finally, you may achieve what you bragged.
It's my luck to know you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-15 23:46:56 |Display all floors
More isn't always better, that is a piece of truth.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-16 12:22:44 |Display all floors
By nature I'm a modest person, and I heard that in China it's better to be modest. But in my work, my boss has been questioning whether or not I can do the job -  in one case saying "why didn't you tell me you could do that" after looking into hiring someone else to do it. But really, he didn't give me a chance to do it or ask if I was already doing it (I was, but in a different way that didn't stand out), he didn't really know much about what I was doing, he just went and tried out someone else for a specific part of the job. So how boastful should I be??? My goodness... am I supposed to go around every day saying "Look what I did!" and tell in advance every little thing I am capable of doing? That would be disgusting and take a year!

I'm used to just doing my job, plus more whenever something more needs to be done and I can do it. I'm used to the boss seeing what I'm doing, not ignoring me and relying on me to report about it. It's weird to me to say everything I'm doing. In this job, if I don't boastfully tell everything I've been doing, it's assumed I'm not doing much. That's very strange to me.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-16 16:28:25 |Display all floors
I just do what i should do, say what i should say in a business way, and report as required with suggestion . It's the boss who should decide who can shoulder more  task.

If you yourself is the head, i think people will trust you more for your wisdom
bravery, foresight....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-16 17:17:42 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2006-11-16 12:22
By nature I'm a modest person, and I heard that in China it's better to be modest. But in my work, my boss has been questioning whether or not I can do the job -  in one case saying "why didn' ...

Do you know how some of those Chinese employers go about their daily duties?

-Hold morning meeting, doing daily assignment
-Read and sign docs piled up from the previous evening
-Attend to social intercourses (a big luncheon party is usually included)
-Hear day-end reports by subordinates

You can't make yourself stand out if you don't keep him or her informed of what you do and how well you do it..., So the daily day-end report is crucial in forming a satifactory working relation with your employer...!

Not many people like it, but you have to get used to it if you come across with such an employer...!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-16 19:37:55 |Display all floors
I like to be with persons who are modest. In my opinion, to be modest doesn't mean that you should not tell others what you have achieved or  you are a competent worker. Modesty is an aspect of charm.  Nobody will like a person who is conceited or exaggerating.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-1 14:57:48 |Display all floors
Originally posted by crazycarl at 2006-11-16 19:37
I like to be with persons who are modest. In my opinion, to be modest doesn't mean that you should not tell others what you have achieved or  you are a competent worker. Modesty is an aspect of cha ...

Yeah, I agree with crazycar's opinion. In my opinion, modesty is far beyond cheapening ourselves. So we can't exaggerate ourselves since that would make us less trustworthy, however, it is no need to degrade ourselves. I prefer to be honesty.
Whatever happens, I am still keeping on hope.

Yours,
Sandy

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.