Author: freakyqi

what does this hanzi say? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-10-30 10:36:34 |Display all floors
YEAH RIGHT! HA!
GIVE ME YOUR THREAD!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-1 23:56:48 |Display all floors
Originally posted by puffca at 2006-10-30 01:38
How do you know it is "quatrain_on_heavenly_mt"?
Is there an English translation? If so, you should put it up.

I didn't name it that, that's the name the file had when it was taken off the web from wherever (I don't know where it's from). So just use it as a clue i guess.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-17 22:33:21 |Display all floors

bump

I'm trying again.
Anyone else care to try to help?

Pleeeeeease?

If puffca's hanzi is correct, can someone give some possible meanings? Babelfish is useless in cases like these.

[ Last edited by freakyqi at 2007-4-17 10:34 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-18 00:07:48 |Display all floors
Sorry, Freaky, I've come up dry on this one.  The hanzi is probably unfamiliar because it is so old.  The poem, referred to in English as "Quatrain on Heavenly Mountain", was by the Song Dynasty Emperor Gaozong (1107-1187) who reigned from 1127-1162.  There are many web depictions of the poem on the fan, mostly from the same source, none that I found with translations.  The fan was included in an exibition at the Metropolitan Museum in New York Sept. 2006 to Jan. 2007.  Exhibit labels included translations, but, unfortunately I haven't been able to locate the catalog on line yet.  It is no longer on the Met site, and not yet on sites such as Amazon.

Looking a little further I see that it's not just the age that may make the hanzi unfamiliar, but also the cursive style.  Very different from the example below from the Empress Yang Meizi (1162-1232) just a few years later.  Translation of her poem is:
My makeup worn and faded, only the scent lingers;
Still I shall enjoy spring's beauty before my eyes.
Once you said to me, "How a year blooms quickly and as quickly dies!
May we now forsake worldly splendors for the land of wine?"

Too bad I haven't found something similar for Gaozong showing what he might have been thinking.

[ Last edited by diogenes at 2007-4-17 01:07 PM ]
yang meizi.jpg
A cynic is a dissapointed idealist.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-18 02:54:36 |Display all floors
Oh, thanks for all your hard work Diogenes! That bit about it being at the Met might be a big help. If the translations were there, then at least we know they DO exist and should be able to be found. I'm passing this thread on to my friend, so he'll read everything you said and maybe it'll help him.

thanks

Hey, wait.... you said you came up dry... no way, you gave a lot of info! If that's "dry" then I'm a stupid moronic desert. Whatever that means.
It's late, ignore me.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.