Author: tmphgt

Are you using Internet Explorer 7? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-12-7 14:54:40 |Display all floors
firefox...
I don't know if I like you or love you, want you or need you, all I know is I love the feeling I get when I'm near you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-7 22:36:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pjtran at 7-12-2006 02:44 AM
greeting!  i'm using IE 7 and i don't find that very useful rather than annoying, cuz it requires at least 1gig of memory & bigger hard drive (it takes a lots of guts to run this sucker) .  

Nonsense ... I have IE7 running on a Pentium III laptop with 192 MB RAM.

Originally posted by pjtran at 7-12-2006 02:44 AM
i'm not so sure but i think IE 7 is getting ready for windows VISTA...and again you gotta have brand new MB (motherboard) , new memory DDR2 not DDR & minimum of 1gig to get the feel.

IE7 was written for various reasons.

All the anti-MS/anti-Windows brigade need to go and actually find some factual basis for moaning about MS. Take an open mind, go and research the products and talk to MS. They run many free seminars for those who have an interest in the technology.

Yawn, oh well the bandwagoning users will never learn.
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-7 22:40:27 |Display all floors
Originally posted by canchin at 7-12-2006 02:25 AM
The last Internet Excrement I used was versioin 5.5 - but that was only once in a while.

I have been using Firefox since it was in "pre-1.0" days and will never change back to Internet Excrement no matter how many of the ideas in Firefox are stolen - or should I say "adopted" by MS for inclusion in Internet Excrement 7...such as tabs.

Yes, there are some sites that are still so backward - like the MS site - that will only work - with all their functions - with Internet Excrement, but those sites are simply sites I don't visit. If I really need something from the MS site, I fire up IE5.5, download whatever I need, and go back to using a professional browser.  

Ah, the views of an IT Professional? Spoken like a true open source fan, liangzai would be proud!!!

Like I say, it is easy to bash MS but unless you really understand the underlying technical reasons for what they do and why they do it, it does all sound a bit childish.

Next week, I will go to the Vista 2007, Exchange 2007 and Office 2007 launch. Why? Because it is my job to keep up-to-date with technology on all platforms.
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-8 09:52:38 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tmphgt at 2006-12-7 22:40

it is easy to bash MS but unless you really understand the underlying technical reasons for what they do and why they do it,  

The reason they "adopted" so many features from Firefox to "add" to Internet Excrement 7 was the growing popularity of Firefox, the efficiency of Firefox, the speed of Firefox, the much, MUCH smaller footprint of Firefox, the ability to write for and add to the features in Firefox.

The most common refrain heard (read) on IT sites and from professionals when browsers are discussed is "Dump IE for Firefox and enjoy browsing again."

Firefox is a superior browser and gives a superior browsing experience - and THAT is why MS "adopted" so many of the ideas already in Firefox; and that have been part of Firefox for at least the two years I have been using it.

Now, if MS could only do some of the other things that Firefox does so well, then perhaps IE would be half as good...if MS would not do some of the things Firefox does not do - hijack your operating system, slow your computer, allow malware and viruses nearly free reign, allow Active X scripts to do what they want...then IE would be even better.

Until then - and since neither is likely due the ego so oft displayed not just by MS but the slavish proponents of MS that are willing to be unpaid public Beta testers and who brook no criticism of the bloatware that are so many MS products that means probably never - I will continue to use Firefox, suffering the stain on my computer of the Internet Excrement logo only because as I say, there are some sites that still haven't gotten with the program and will only work with IE; and usually because they need to run Active X scripts.

Oh, and open source? Not quite - although the attempt at insulting those that feel open source rather than slavish devotion is preferable is noted.

I started using Windows at 3.1 and the things it does well - it does well...but the things that suck, suck BIG TIME!

The whole focus of MS has been on trying to ensure dominance and the destruction of higher quality software developed by companies other than MS by trying to bloat the MS ware more with each version with the inclusion of lesser quality, so-called "features" that other companies do so much better. If MS had just "adopted" the Great Wanker B@stard's idea of "stay the course" and focused just on the operating system without the inclusion of add-on programs that just made the operating system more of a headache than a pleasure, then there would be no place in the computer world for any open source software...but they didn't because they follow the idea that for MS to succeed every other software company must die.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-8 17:03:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by canchin at 8-12-2006 01:52 AM
Oh, and open source? Not quite - although the attempt at insulting those that feel open source rather than slavish devotion is preferable is noted.

Sometimes you really need to lighten-up ....

You object to me poking fun at liangzai? Oh well, nevermind ...

If you have never used (and refuse to use) IE 7 then all of your opinion is based on what others say - something you regularly lambaste those who "criticise" China for.

Originally posted by canchin at 8-12-2006 01:52 AM
Now, if MS could only do some of the other things that Firefox does so well, then perhaps IE would be half as good...if MS would not do some of the things Firefox does not do - hijack your operating system, slow your computer, allow malware and viruses nearly free reign, allow Active X scripts to do what they want...then IE would be even better.

ActiveX support is something which the user can choose to enable or disable in IE and there are ActiveX plugins for Firefox available - it is the user's choice.

Sure, stick with Firefox, but it is worth knowing that back in September 2005, Symantec said in its semi-annual Internet Threat Report that the 18 high-severity vulnerabilities reported for the Mozilla browsers in the first half of 2005 was a worse showing than that of Internet Explorer, for which eight high severity holes were found during the same period. (Ok, I have para-phrased a quote but Firefox is not as secure or superior as people are led to believe).

The biggest problem is not the choice of browser but keeping your system patched and up-to-date - this is not a unique problem for MS platforms, ALL systems including LINUX, commercial UNIX and Macs need this too. Any Mac user who claims to be immune from viruses lives in la-la land!!!

Like I said, until people learn why Microsoft does various things or does not do various things from a technical perspective then it all just seems like anti-MS/anti-Windows ranting to me.

If people want to save money and use a non-MS operating system, they can reject the EULA at install time and contact their OEM vendor for a refund of the operating system licence cost ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-8 23:57:28 |Display all floors
I can't use WIE7, since I am not using Windows or any Microsoft product at all.

I use Safari, on Mac OS X. That's a superior browser in all respects. If I weren't using Safari, I would use Firefox, Omniweb, Opera, Seamonkey or any of the many alternatives (they are all excellent browsers).

IE7 is a slight improvement over IE6, but it is still crap. It still doesn't understand XHTML. Its CSS support is still crappy. OK, it does tabs... hooray, welcome to this century!

Dump Microsoft, people; it's useless, it's antiquated, it's buggy, it's insecure, it's non-standard.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-9 01:07:19 |Display all floors
I can't use WIE7, since I am not using Windows or any Microsoft product at all.

I use Safari, on Mac OS X. That's a superior browser in all respects. If I weren't using Safari, I would use Firefox, Omniweb, Opera, Seamonkey or any of the many alternatives (they are all excellent browsers).

IE7 is a slight improvement over IE6, but it is still crap. It still doesn't understand XHTML. Its CSS support is still crappy. OK, it does tabs... hooray, welcome to this century!

Dump Microsoft, people; it's useless, it's antiquated, it's buggy, it's insecure, it's non-standard.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.