Author: tmphgt

Are you using Internet Explorer 7? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-10-20 17:50:32 |Display all floors

Reply #4 susansusan's post

Why would you want to upgrade your PC?
I am of the opinion that Microsoft and Intel are together hand in glove, trying to sell new products to the unsuspecting consumers, without really offering something that is substantially different.  The 95s, 98s, 2000s, the XPs, and the series of Explorers that come bundled with them.
For some time now, a message has been popping up on my screen telling me that my Windows-XP wont be suppoted from 10th October 2006. Who cares anyway, as the XP version wasn't doing anything really different from the 98 version on my old computer. As a matter of fact, I received no support all these years.  And now that I have managed to reconfigure my PC into dual system, able to choose either Windows and Linux/ Mozilla, there is that great feeling of freedom from the clutches of Microsoft, and the privilege of joining a community that is driven not by money, but by the ideal of sharing knowledge.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-20 18:01:53 |Display all floors
Originally posted by lobsang at 20-10-2006 09:50 AM
I am of the opinion that Microsoft and Intel are together hand in glove, trying to sell new products to the unsuspecting consumers, without really offering something that is substantially different.  The 95s, 98s, 2000s, the XPs, and the series of Explorers that come bundled with them.

Valid point. Microsoft has to make money and does this by constantly upgrading products - however the consumer has to determine what real benefits an upgrade will bring. Word 97, for example, is perfectly usable and feature-rich so why move to Word 2003?

For some time now, a message has been popping up on my screen telling me that my Windows-XP wont be suppoted from 10th October 2006.

Er? Why is your copy of Windows XP not going to be supported? Is it an illegal copy or something?

Who cares anyway, as the XP version wasn't doing anything really different from the 98 version on my old computer.

Well XP is much more robust than any previous version of Windows. However it is true that it demands greater hardware - back to the Intel/Microsoft partnership again!

As a matter of fact, I received no support all these years.  And now that I have managed to reconfigure my PC into dual system, able to choose either Windows and Linux/ Mozilla, there is that great feeling of freedom from the clutches of Microsoft, and the privilege of joining a community that is driven not by money, but by the ideal of sharing knowledge.

We all have a choice: Windows, Linux (or derivatives), Macs, RISC OS but for education establishments and corporates, they worry about the total cost of ownership. Which system costs more, which system is easier to support, etc ...  The cost of the operating system is only part of the equation.

Anyway this thread is not meant to be Windows versus Linux, I am simply canvassing opinion on IE 7. So far, I am neither impressed or disappointed with it. The extra security features make sense and the overall functionality is fine. The tabbed browsing is something I am trying to get used to!

:)
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-20 18:07:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by lobsang at 10-20-2006 17:50
I am of the opinion that Microsoft and Intel are together hand in glove, trying to sell new products to the unsuspecting consumers, without really offering  ...

so do you drive a horse to work every day to avoid the greedy auto makers?   :)

windowx XP is so way better than win98 it's not even worth comparing the two.  maybe the home edition of XP sucks, but the professonal edition is not bad at all.  

besides, products like fedora, which is free with no support, is owned by redhat which sells server/enterprise editions of the same software which is not free (the service provided for it).  they are all in it to make money (some expections like free bsd of course), it's just that MS makes the most $$ and people always hate people that are richer than they are.

[ Last edited by mikeghet at 2006-10-20 06:08 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-20 18:12:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tmphgt at 10-20-2006 18:01

Er? Why is your copy of Windows XP not going to be supported? Is it an illegal copy or something?

lol...i was totally going to say that, but didn't want to instigate.  probably did a security update and tried to register an illegal copy, or???

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-20 18:20:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mikeghet at 20-10-2006 10:12 AM
lol...i was totally going to say that, but didn't want to instigate.  probably did a security update and tried to register an illegal copy, or???

Yep ... Microsoft insist on validated copies of Windows to be used before any upgrades or add-ons can now be downloaded.

IE 7 and Windows Defender (nice bit of software) are two such add-ons/upgrades.
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-20 18:26:07 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tmphgt at 10-20-2006 18:20

Yep ... Microsoft insist on validated copies of Windows to be used before any upgrades or add-ons can now be downloaded.

IE 7 and Windows Defender (nice bit of software) are two such add-ons ...

i'm not sure if they made changes to this as well, but last i read you can still do non-priority updates (eg windows media player, etc), just not security updates.  either way, i wouldn't do any updats at all if i had an illegal copy.  

AND TURN OFF THAT AUTO-UPDATE (my computer > properties > automatic updates) CRAP....that's where they get you probably.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-20 18:33:44 |Display all floors
Windows Update is fine - but always use Custom and have some control over the updates.

None of the Security Updates have ever broken any of the clients or servers that I use.

In fact the only things that killed my XP at home were a dodgy scanner driver and a crap shareware uninstaller

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.