Author: zhangxing

The biggest block on the way of I learning english [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-10-31 15:27:00 |Display all floors
Tnanks, Keanewang. Something else I forgot to mention:

You can use index cards to learn and memorise words. This is common in the Western education system.

Take a list of the words that you are planning to learn and memorise.

Prepare a large number of little cardboard cards, about 4 inches by 6 inches in size, or maybe a little smaller.

On each card, write one of the English words from your list, on one side. On the other side you can write its meaning in Chinese, its pronunciation, the different forms of the word, some example sentences, and so on; anything you like to write about the word.

Stack these cards together, with the English words on top, facing you. You can place the cards in a little tray for convenience.

To use the cards, pull out any card at random, and look at the English word. Try to recollect its Chinese meaning and some example sentences. If you cannot remember, turn the card over and look at the back.

Practise this with all the cards. When you are confident about any word, you can remove that card from the stack and put it into another stack of words that you already know. Continue practising with the other cards.

You can do this exercise for a few minutes every day. It is more interesting if you can do it together with a friend, taking turns.

You will see the size of the stack of words that you know growing with time, and that will give you an added confidence too.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-31 16:07:21 |Display all floors
thank you! changcheng is really a good teacher not only for zhangxing but also for me!i graduated from university a few months ago,and i feeling that english is so far away from me because of busy working!actually  i need more chance and time to practise my oral english!
at last,really thank you!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-31 16:59:36 |Display all floors
If we want to improve English skills , we have to insist on speaking ,remembering and what's more ,persistence is the most important aspect in English study.

zjollin@hotmail.com
http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/1086428250

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-1 13:10:02 |Display all floors
hykgloria, glad that you found my posts useful too:-)

Here are two great articles that I came across in this website:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/biz ... /content_719679.htm

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/biz ... /content_715578.htm

It would be worth downloading these articles for future reference and for inspiration. Read these articles slowly, several times. There are lots of lessons to be learnt from the lives of these two people.

[ Last edited by changcheng at 2006-11-1 01:13 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-1 19:58:43 |Display all floors
Changcheng
Thank you for sharing so much.
I am very confident that I can master this language, because you have done it, right?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-2 02:15:54 |Display all floors
kisstherain,

My pleasure. However, I am not Chinese. I just use the name ChangCheng which a friend gave me, which is really 常诚 and not the Great Wall!

I'm actually from Australia, and I was in China until recently, mostly teaching English. I'm now overseas, but I hope to come back to China some time in the future. Meanwhile, I am trying to learn Chinese myself, so I can understand very well your difficulties in learning a second language:-)

Learning any language is the same. Every language has its own difficulties and idiosyncrasies. If you wish to learn the language, you have to accept it as it is. That is why a child can learn a language so easily. The child doesn't question anything; it just accepts every thing. But adults tend to question and reject many things. "Why is this like that, why is that like this, in my language this is so simple, why is it so complicated in this language", etc. It is this rejection that makes it so hard to learn a language.

Obviously, if your mind is constantly rejecting the new language, then nothing is going to stay in your mind, and you feel that you cannot remember anything. The first thing to do, therefore, is to learn to accept everything about the language unconditionally, like a child. You can ask questions to understand it better, of course. But don't question it with an attitude of rejection. The same rules apply to me too when I try to learn Chinese.  Good luck with your English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-7 05:08:05 |Display all floors
..my english is poor
i don't kown what  to learn english.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.