Author: qinger

schmuck? means what? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-10-19 08:50:48 |Display all floors
Jeff, do you think that it's unnormal that the camel staying(parking) in the parking garage( actually it's a place for cars)?

yeah, i thought it's a little bit strange when i firstly read the line.
私は花の子です。名前はルンルンです。。。。。。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-19 11:50:49 |Display all floors
Originally posted by qinger at 2006-10-18 04:50 PM
Jeff, do you think that it's unnormal that the camel staying (parking) in the parking garage…
Well, of course, qinger!

I always park my camel out on the street—the parking garage is way too expensive.

I don't believe you park your camel in the parking garage all the time! Parking must be cheaper in Chengdu, I guess.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-19 12:41:15 |Display all floors
hehe, it seems that camel has become the equivalence of auto !  oh,  i know in American probably each family has several cars, while in China it 's good enough if the family can just have one(although nowadays private cars become more popular).

parking is not cheap also in Chengdu. you could see that so many cars just parking in the narrow road of our residential area over night.

[ Last edited by qinger at 2006-10-19 12:45 PM ]
私は花の子です。名前はルンルンです。。。。。。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-30 22:37:35 |Display all floors

Smuckers advertisement

Hi!

Quote jeff_in_sf "Here's the classic Yiddish joke which you can now get, qinger"

:
Well, here's what they say in the advertisement for Smuckers Jam     (though its spelt differently, it still sounds like schmuck!)

"" With a name like Smuckers, it’s got to be good"

I guess its easy to understand once you know the original meaning of schmuck!!
They are laughing at their own name, and stressing that the quality of their product is really good if it sells so well with a name like that!!!

Good joke, by the way!

WB

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-31 04:40:07 |Display all floors
I've actually wondered if the two words are related—I'd guess that they are but I don't know for sure…

The Smucker's advertising slogan—With a name like Smucker's, it has to be good.®—is quite well known.

I agree—at the very least, "Smucker's" in English doesn't sound very good.

Incidentally, as a kid, I used to have Smucker's jams and jellies—and they were really good. :)
smuckers.png
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.