Author: qinger

schmuck? means what? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-10-18 13:41:00 |Display all floors
And that usage comes from the low German word that means jewels, a little treasure to be protected.

Here's the classic Yiddish joke which you can now get, qinger:
One day Marvin comes down to the parking garage and the camel is gone... stolen!

He calls the police who arrive within minutes. The first question is "What color was your camel?"

Marvin replies he doesn't remember, "Probably camel colored, I guess...sort of brownish-greyish."

"And how many humps on your camel?" asks the policeman.

"Who counts humps? One, maybe two, I don't know for sure."

"And the height of the camel, sir?"

"What's with these dumb questions?" Marvin asks. "The camel was about three feet taller than I am. So maybe 9 feet, 10 feet. I can't be certain."

"Just one last question to complete my report, sir. Was the camel male or female?"

"Ah, that I know for sure—he was a male."

"How can you be so certain of his sex when you don't remember anything else about your camel?" asks the policeman.

"Well," says Marvin, "everyone knows he's a male. Every day I'd ride the camel through town and people would stop and say to each other 'Look at the schmuck on that camel!' "
I can't believe I just posted that joke on the ChinaDaily bulletin board!

Bookmark Onelook, qinger. You can get a lot of definitions there, including this one.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-18 14:16:26 |Display all floors
jeff, haha, the joke you posted is so funny, really !  i just can't believe it ! and thanks for telling me about the dictionaries.

"Well," says Marvin, "everyone knows he's a male. Every day I'd ride the camel through town and people would stop and say to each other 'Look at the schmuck on that camel!' "

yes, the camel had a schmuck, so he was male.  a man who rode on the camel was a fool(schmuck).

this joke is a classic one. probably it tells where the meaning of the word derives from.
私は花の子です。名前はルンルンです。。。。。。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-18 14:21:12 |Display all floors

good one -- that should be a "redneck" joke

Originally posted by jeff_in_sf at 2006-10-18 13:41
And that usage comes from the low German word that means jewels, a little treasure to be protected.

Here's the classic Yiddish joke which you can now get, qinger:I can't believe I  ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-18 14:41:32 |Display all floors
I'm glad you got it, qinger!

Ha, ha! That's not quite a "redneck" joke, ed—it's a classic "Jewish" or "Yiddish" joke!
camel.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-18 17:48:05 |Display all floors

the picture itself is another unbelievable thing (classic joke)! ha ha ......
私は花の子です。名前はルンルンです。。。。。。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-18 23:13:28 |Display all floors
:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-19 08:00:03 |Display all floors
Actually, I think my favorite part about that joke is not the punch line (the line that is the "joke," usually the last line) but the first line:
One day Marvin comes down to the parking garage and the camel is gone... stolen!
…as if it were entirely normal if he came down to the parking garage and the camel is there!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.