Views: 5210|Replies: 17

chinese customs yes/no? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-10-16 15:33:00 |Display all floors
Hai Guys,

I need some help on the following thing. For me there is not a clear answer as many of my direct Chinese contacts are colored in their opinion.

I asked my girlfriend whether she wanted to go to London, Barcelona or a city of her choice for New Years eve. She replied that she would like to go to any city but not on that particular night because she wants to spend the night with her mother.... she said that it is a chinese custom to spend this night with family. preferably at home, preferably by firing up at least one big celebration cracker...

the thing is, for the duration of our relationship, we never spend this night at her mothers house, nor ours. we always went to a 'family' owned restaurant...

i know some chinese here in holland who have no problem by not spending the night at their parents house, but i would like to hear some comments from more chinese/mixed couples...

could you guys please help me out on this one? Thanks, please state the country where you reside to give me a clearer picture of your situation.

Thanks again!  Marc
"Life is as Beautiful as you Make it yourself"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-16 16:22:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by boylovesgirl at 16-10-2006 15:33
Hai Guys,

I need some help on the following thing. For me there is not a clear answer as many of my direct Chinese contacts are colored in their opinion.

I asked my girlfriend whether she wan ...

Marc? are you from holland?
im Chinese from Holland also, but im in Shanghai for 2 years.

you mean a Chinese habit that the girl must stay home with family on a certain day?  its quite obvious, or it is the Mid-Autumn festival, which mean is a 'family-get-together-day'. Or it should be Chinese new year where all family also visit eachother and have to be with parents etc.

why it should be a problem for you to spent the night at her parents' house? If you are serious and you really want a future with her, which I assume, then it would just even better if you are invited and spent the night there!
what is your problem then?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-16 16:29:06 |Display all floors
New year eve ?

Most of us now leave our parents for work or study .and there’s less and less time spend with parents .

And the new year eve is a reunion time for all the family ,the Chinese parents will want to reunite with their family ,otherwise they’ll feel very lonely in that time .

So if possible all the people will come back to home,even if they just spend one night together .

For me ,I can understand ur gf , in new year eve ,she’ll can’t help missing her parents

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-16 16:32:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by bornne at 16-10-2006 16:29
New year eve ?

Most of us now leave our parents for work or study .and there’s less and less time spend with parents .

And the new year eve is a reunion time for all the family ,the Chinese  ...

yes but not New Year's Eve.
In China its the SPRING festival. During mid February. instead of 31 Dec :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-16 16:37:32 |Display all floors
Originally posted by auchengyu at 2006-10-16 16:32

yes but not New Year's Eve.
In China its the SPRING festival. During mid February. instead of 31 Dec :)
the Holland guy mentioned new year eve I think is the spring festival not Jan 1,2007,maybe he not know the difference of the two .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-16 16:38:52 |Display all floors

chinese vs western new year

to crystalize: i am talking about the western new years eve. not the chinese one. for some funny reason, they don't celebrate the chinese one...
"Life is as Beautiful as you Make it yourself"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-16 16:39:58 |Display all floors
Originally posted by bornne at 16-10-2006 16:37
the Holland guy mentioned new year eve I think is the spring festival not Jan 1,2007,maybe he not know the difference of the two .

Ow he and his gf are in Holland I guess? or in China?
anyway if in China he must ment the Chinese new year.
If the girl is in Holland (and her parents also) then its still Chinese new year and maybe also 31 dec 2006.  IN holland all chinese do celebrate the spring festival + new years eve..~~

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.