Views: 5590|Replies: 21

What makes foreigners' Chinese sound funny? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-10-15 10:09:50 |Display all floors
Hey everyone! I was just thinking earlier about how on this forum, it's easy for native speakers of English to tell who is and who isn't a native English speaker. For example, non-native speakers don't use contractions very much (they'll say "I am" instead of "I'm"), they might not conjugate verbs properly, they may overuse "the," and so on.

So my question to native Chinese speakers (or fluent non-native speakers of Chinese) is: what do students of Chinese say/write that makes their Chinese sound less than fluent or native? My accent and pronounciation of Chinese is good, but what can I change about what I say that will make me sound closer to native? Specific examples (characters included) are encouraged. Thanks for your help!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-15 12:18:44 |Display all floors

give out an example of yours first

Originally posted by sockmonkey at 2006-10-15 10:09
Specific examples (characters included) are encouraged.

But it is difficult to tell you a specific example of speaking chinese properly if you haven't given out an example of your way first.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-15 12:29:24 |Display all floors
i don't konw how ,and my english is poor
but my chinese is very good!!
haha

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-16 01:16:46 |Display all floors
It's hard for me to give an example, since I can't type characters on this computer. If it helps to know more: I studied Chinese for 4 years and spent one of those years living in China, mostly in Beijing and traveling around a lot. So in general I'm pretty good, but I'd like to know what common mistakes foreigners make with Chinese.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-16 02:36:03 |Display all floors
my chinese not good, and my english neither.
hehe

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-17 13:11:01 |Display all floors
I am in problem like you when I study enlish. I think the reason is "environment".
For example, there are two guys from china and can speak fluent enlish. One guy grows up in American. It is difficult to distinguish if he is non-native speaker or not when you just listen his talking. Other one grows up in china. Maybe you don not know where he from. But you clearly know he is not native speaker, Will you?
So, you asked what makes foreigners' Chinese sound funny. Of course, it’s not funny.just only the foreigners do not know the Chinese and Chinese culture very well. If you want sound closer to native speaker. You should learn more basic Chinese knowledge.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-17 14:41:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chris_luo at 2006-10-17 13:11
I am in problem like you when I study enlish. I think the reason is "environment".
For example, there are two guys from china and can speak fluent enlish. One guy grows up in American. I ...

agree....

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.