Author: tianyuanedu

Solutions to the politicization of religion in China. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-11-10 18:02:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by reyquer at 2006-10-26 22:35
under any circumtances, china should discourage the spread of religion or least kept it to its lowest minimum level.

If you are talking specifically about the Evangelicals, I agree.  

The rest of them had been tested throughout China's history, and they are safe.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-22 17:45:57 |Display all floors

Reply #36 wchao37's post

It was interesting that I met a Latin American recently. He is coming to my house
this Saturday again and he is an Evangelist ex Catholic. I was sorry to have offended
him when I mentioned that Israel is often supported in Evangelist/Christian preaching.

However the fact is that Israel is supported by Christian Evangelists in Latin America
and  he agreed with this but predictably did not think there was anything sinister about
it. I would have expected this reaction from an Evangelist. I will steer clear of this topic
when speaking to him.  Christian /Evangelism is politicised in the UK,
Latin America,  the USA and  may also be politicised in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-25 11:30:27 |Display all floors

I'd attended Chinese Catholic mass for the first time in China last week.

And found that it was not politicized there in the least as far as I could tell. Bear in mind, however, that I was attending mass at a government-approved church. Also, I don't go to church regularly (I don't profess the Christian Faith, Catholic or otherwise, myself); I'd gone there only because some Philipino friends of mine who are Catholic had invited me. I must say that I have never witnessed any religio-political leanings among them either. But as I'd mentionned before, I'm not part of the Christian inner-circle either (hard to do when you don't profess the faith yourself).

On the other hand, I'd come across a New Zealander, a devout Christian, who apparently teaches the Bible full-time in China... hmmm... I suspect he's breaking a few laws here. And I thought the Bible teaches obedience to government and to be its well-wishers... oh well, preach but don't practice. If I should ever find out for sure, I'll report him. I love the man, a good father, husband, friend, overall. But I still can't accept foreigners, or locals,  breaking the laws of a country. I agree China's religious laws are a little too stringent, but the law is the law and ought to be respected, and that goes for any nation. If one disagrees with the law, it's better to petition to change it legally rather than just breaking it. That's just common respect. After all, why should China trust religionists if religionists are breaking its laws. Religionists breaking Chinese laws are a good reason in its own right to maintain current suspicions against religions. Once religionists respect the law, then maybe consider further discussion. But those who break the laws just ruin everything for the rest who are law abiding. China allows suffifient freedom to teach ones faith legally as it is, despite the restrictions, so why go out and break the law?
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-25 18:15:46 |Display all floors

Reply #38 tianyuanedu's post

Very interesting, was Israel ever mentioned in all of your conversation with
foreign Christians? I mean just mentioned nor necessarily in a political way.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-26 19:04:50 |Display all floors
This is a very interesting thread  je  zhe      in fact .     

Offering for China to declare a state religion, Confucianism, HAS merit. In a major way it would force abstract thinking on the concepts which boggle the western mind, god and religion and state - because well, they would have to consider "Who was Confucius? What did god (that is, my perception of god)  have to say about HIM?

And then the corollary issues: Would Mister God , Mister Jesus, Mister Moses, and Mister Mohammed punish believers in Confucius over "my" flavour of religion? Get ready to send in the bombers! Bombs really make believers out of people don't they?

The religious mentality might continue thus: So perhaps we need to go to war over Confucius. Confucius a state religin? We need to fight and see whose "god" is right! Should we fight a crusade over Confucius? Friend or foe, this Confucius...?"

Remember a rule of Sun Tze:  Power abhors a vacuum.  Remain where the enemy is not. The outside world is forced to maintain religion and the package of religion encumbers it. No religion means unencumbered, free. No religion = strong.

China MAINTAINS power by keeping religion OUT of the government.

I say, POWER for China is to KEEP religion AWAY - and ALL other forms of superstition. Maybe rename it,   polish the concept of no religion for the west in a better package.
Thus be circuitous and entice the enemy,reaching goals before him: artifice of DEVIATION- SunTze

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-26 20:00:52 |Display all floors

Reply #40 hepcat's post

I say, POWER for China is to KEEP religion AWAY - and ALL other forms of superstition" Quote  ,--   I agree

But can China do this?  I am concerned that they may not be able to

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-30 16:31:16 |Display all floors
Originally posted by christopher_104 at 2006-11-25 18:15
Very interesting, was Israel ever mentioned in all of your conversation with
foreign Christians? I mean just mentioned nor necessarily in a political way.

Actually, not at all.Bear in mind though that I'm not a Christian myself, and so not of the 'in-crowd'. I am very respectful of all religions though, including Christian, so no christian would feel more uncomfortable discussing things with me that they would with any other non-Christian. but as a short answer, no they didn't mention Israel at all.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.