Author: finley

would you like to use chopsticks? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-22 14:46:48 |Display all floors
It took me about a year in China before I started to feel comfortable using chopsticks in public. I remember my sense of gratification the first time someone genuinely complimented my chopsticks skills and meant it. I had sort of "arrived", if you know what I mean.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's one thing I noticed: the distance between the back ends of the chopsticks seems to indicate the level of skill of the user.

A beginner holds the sticks such that they form a wide "V". The back ends are very far apart.
As the person gets better, the back ends come closer and closer.
I've noticed with expert Chinese users that the back ends touch each other. The two sticks are actually completely parallel and completely touching.
In my case, they are "almost touching". I'm looking forward to the day they make full contact :-)

Here's something that could be useful for people (like myself) who find noodles too hot to eat. It's actually a Japanese "chindogu" or "unuseful idea". Notice the little battery powered fan hanging from the guy's chopsticks, cooling the noodles just before he slurps them up. What do you think?
chopstck.jpg

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.