Author: finley

would you like to use chopsticks? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-5 13:19:19 |Display all floors
No matter chopsticks or fork/knife, the shortcomings always exist.

however, chipstick is a sign of chinses culture rather than a tool for eating especially for a expatriate

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-6 11:20:18 |Display all floors
I'm clumsy at forks/knives...too heavy, but different way depends on different shape of food, chinese food's usually served in a way you don't have to use much force to feed yourself

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-7 11:06:51 |Display all floors
whenever my families have meals,

my brother always laughs at me..."  haaha....your way of using the chopsticks isn't approciate"...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-7 12:09:46 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pandamonium at 2007-3-5 13:09
even Chinese people seem to end up pecking at it like sea birds!

Panda, your description is so clear and amusing! Your language is often a pleasure to read.

For me, the most difficult thing is when a piece of food is an odd shape but facing the wrong way. It was nearly impossible one night for me to pick up a piece of fruit - it was cut in a sort of triangle shape, with the biggest part FLAT against the plate, almost stuck like a suction cup! There was nothing to grab, it would be like trying to pick up the Great Pyramid, that shape. Being a little slow in the brain activity about the use of chopsticks, it took me a bit to figure out maybe I could slide it to the edge of the plate, partway hanging off the edge, then I could get underneath it. I just HAD to get it, it was REALLY good!

BTW, the word 'salad' here can mean some interesting things. No one I've ever known in the US would have EVER put salad dressing on fruit. I was eating it thinking, "what is this? It's familiar but I can't quite place it.... I know what it is, but I can't think of it...." That's because my brain has a totally separate category for salad dressing, it's in the file with lettuce and veggies, which, in the US is in a separate file from fruit.

In the US, 'fruit salad' usually means a bunch of different kinds of fruit all cut up and mixed together, no dressing. When there is a dressing, it might be a slightly flavored yogurt or something.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-7 12:14:21 |Display all floors
Here's a suction cup in case anyone doesn't know, maybe it's a weird word.

And imagine this pyramid all slippery and wet, AND covered in Kewpie Thousand Island or something. Tell me it wouldn't be difficult to pick up with chopsticks. That was like my fruit.
suction cup with hook.jpg
greatpyramid2-1.jpg
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-7 12:21:59 |Display all floors

having noodles with fork

i'm a chinese. it is interesting that i use chopsticks when i have meals with other person, if i eat alone i prefer liking spoon. as i think it is convenience for me to eat by spoon while eating alone. and i seldom use fork, but one time i ate noodles by fork at a friends' party and i felt it is more convenience by fork than chopsticks when eating noodles as the fork can let the noodles not hang down very far. it looks more civilization for noodles with fork, hehe

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-13 09:43:44 |Display all floors
I have no problem using chopsticks :) I have a secret chopstick with a hole down the centre for drinking soup :) rice is easy as long as you remember to push the rice into the bowl to make it stick together then it's easy to pick up with chopsticks :) I have been told that I hold my chopsticks like a foreigner :) so we foreigners have our own style already :)
There are no Ugly women , only those with low self esteem .

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.