Views: 31009|Replies: 42

would you like to use chopsticks? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-9-24 00:14:38 |Display all floors
HI, everybody !
i'm very glad to read the 1st issue of nihao from china.
in my opinion, i am interest in introduction about chopsticks.
it indicated some good manners to use chopsticks. besides, we need to pay attention to avoid some bad habits.
my question is following,
if you are a foreigner, would you like to use chopsticks?
After all ,  it is so inconvenient for foreigner to have a meal with chinese  in CHINA , just as  many chinese people are not good at taking western-style food.
but we have to admit that it is also one of  chinese culture.
i wonder what do you think of it.
please submit your opinion.
Real beauty lies not in the physical appearance,
but in the heart.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-24 01:30:49 |Display all floors
I like using chopsticks. As long as the food is small enough, I think they are more practical. But sometimes if the food is bigger than bite size, I don't know what to do with it, especially if I don't want the whole thing. Like... do I take a bite and put the rest down and pick it up again later? Someone told me that's rude, though I mean putting it on my own plate of course, so why would anyone else care if I do that?

And I'm not sure about taking food from the bigger dishes. If there is not a separate spoon for it, is it ok to use our own chopsticks to take from it if we only touch the one we want, or is that only with people you know well?

I can't read that article, it doesn't show up on my computer.

But overall, I like chopsticks and I use them sometimes at home even when I have forks.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-24 10:51:13 |Display all floors
I'm a Chinese in Tianjin and I'd love to use chopsticks which was one of our tradional culture.
And I hope that the foreigners will get used to them.
Be a rich man !!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-24 14:25:59 |Display all floors
Originally posted by finley at 9-24-2006 00:14
HI, everybody !
i'm very glad to read the 1st issue of nihao from china.
in my opinion, i am interest in introduction about chopsticks.
it indicated some good manners to use chopsticks. besides, ...

i'm pretty efficient with chopsticks, so when applicable i almost always use 'em.  the problem is that i often prefer to eat a bite of the dish at the same time as i eat rice, so a spoon comes in handy at time.

have you ever eaten a porterhouse with chopsticks?   it don't work....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-24 19:01:21 |Display all floors
I learned how to use chopsticks before using fork and knife and though we eat western food 90% of the time, I prefer to use chopsticks as I find it more convenient to use like for spaghetti etc.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-24 19:10:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by delodia at 2006-9-24 19:01
I learned how to use chopsticks before using fork and knife and though we eat western food 90% of the time, I prefer to use chopsticks as I find it more convenient to use like for spaghetti etc.

Ok, now I'm confused. You find chopsticks easier to use for spaghetti?? LOL... On that food I'm the opposite! I find chopsticks more convenient for most things EXCEPT long noodles! Can you explain how you eat spaghetti with chopsticks please?

With a fork, we twirl some around it so it doesn't hang down very far.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-25 14:10:34 |Display all floors
Live or eat in china ,it’s really a regret if u can’t use chopsticks

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.