Author: chairman

Chinese creativity and innovation - the formula for advance. [Copy link] 中文

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2006-10-6 07:41:32 |Display all floors

This thread was just posted a shot time ago...

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-6 08:06:00 |Display all floors
Those "matches" were of the self-igniting and disease causing kind, right? Safety matches were indeed invented in Sweden, in 1855.

So if you get my point here, it doesn't matter who invented what really; the principle to follow is that safety matches were exported all over the world, creating surplus export money for the people of the country of origin. How many matches did China export?

Iraq "invented" the wheel (together with numeorus other civilizations), but what would you say about Iraq's development after the wheel and possibly some other early discoveries? Where is the principal and methodical development?

The Sumerians "invented" the alphabet, which was exported all the way to Europe, where it was modified to contain wovels by the Greeks, and later modified by Greeks in Rome to basically the shape we know them today (much like Qin Shihuang standardized Chinese Charatcers about the same time). Where are the Sumerians today? You can't dwell on past glories; they don't really count, at least not more than at some basic level of historic pride.

So, to your basic question: can China invent? Of course it can. China can be whatever it want to be and do whatever it want to do, but it can't be achieved anyway China wants it to be achieved. There are certain processes for this. You can't just leapfrog past the leading nations in 10-15 years, like a previous leader dreamed of.

Above all, if China invented the gun powder 1000 years ago is of no relevance to this issue.

Let's take another example: The Arab world was at its height in the 800s. They took Chinese and Indian mathematics and refined it, before Europe woke up from its middle ages and began the Renaissance and later the Age of Enlightenment, leading to the scientific revolution and later the industrial revolution and later the information revolution. Where are the Arabs today? You could claim that they have been subdued by Western imperialism, but the truth is that their decline started long before that, when religion became ubiquitous, when free speech was impeded, and when the respect for learning, truth and facts was annihilated. That is what kept the Arabs from keeping developing, and the same is what would impede any nation or culture from developing.

I believe China is taking many right steps toward this goal of achieveing world class scientific status, with tons of innovations coming as a result. But it has nothing to do with the compass being invented in China. Remember Zheng He? He was a magnificent admiral, but not a trader. He cause the empire losses, and the empire didn't understand the implications of trade (the shang class being the most despicable among the four classes in China), so they closed the door. The compass was never properly put to use in the time when Europe set sail to discover the world. China created the empire's own demise, despite having the compass, the gun powder and other innovations.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-6 08:26:02 |Display all floors

# 28

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-6 08:27:32 |Display all floors

# 30

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-6 09:54:44 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chairman at 2006-10-6 08:27
?

Iraq, formerly Mesopotamia, was the cradle of civilization. All other civilizations arose upon this genuinely Iraqi invention, through osmosis, stealing, or copying. Iraq is the real deal, everyone else is fake!

Iraq hosted the Garden of Eden -- paradise -- where mankind was conceived (Adam and Eve), according to the most read book in the world, that bible thing. The three wise men were from Iraq, blessing the baby boy Jesus, and a lot of the stories of the bible took place in Iraq. Noah built the ark in Iraq, for example. Iraq was the basis, the foundation on which everything else was built on.

Pottery was invented in Iraq. This was the basis for civilization, as the harvest could be stored properly, and meals could be served in a civilized manner instead of eating with the fingers. All other civilizations stole this invention from Iraq.

Iraq also invented the division of time, so that mankind's conception of time could be established. This was the foundation of science, as the entire physics follows from this time concept. Iraq also invented mathematicws and astronomy as a consequence.

The battery was also invented in Iraq, and since this was the founding discovery of technological innovation, the entire world owes to Iraq the all later discoveries.

Without Iraq, there would be no other civilizations, because we were first. Iraq was first because it is a characteristic of the Iraqi people.

We have no flushing toilets and our country is in total disorder, but we invented the wheel. Therefore, we also invented the space shuttle. The entire world looks up to Iraq, and everyone is anticipating Iraq's rightfully reclaim of the top spot in the world. Any minute now.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-6 12:03:58 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chairman at 2006-10-6 11:17

I should ask at this stage why as you either reside or work in China and or sometimes do, why you feel you must attack China at every avenue, you have VIKING BLOOD, call it quits while your ahead.

Let's assume this is the year of the Lord 1872. I am a foreign philantropist coming to China to study the magnificent culture (we'll assume I have none of the defects that naturally would be found in such a weird person of his time). Let's assume I publish a book on the traditions of foot binding since Song times, about the Empire's resistance to acquire foreign ways of technology, about the queer and obligatory bianzi found in all of the male population -- would I then be attacking China or would I just point out some spots on the otherwise shining sun? Could such critique, if you will, actually be of any help for reformers, some kind of enlightenment from someone who has seen other parts of the world?

I am not attacking China; I am attacking your faulty reasoning. I stand by reason, and I find that your line of argument is much more harmful to China than my crude logical reasoning.

It is not a good example of the one you desire to make....as all ancient civilisations are gone...except for China

Yet another flaw in your arguments. China is by no means an ancient civilization. You wouldn't be able to understand the old civilization more than I would be able to understand Tiberius Gracchus. Gracchus would use the same characters I use, and I would know many of the Latin words he spoke, as both are a heritage his civilization left for us. I would also appreciate the other things his empire founded and that have their direct continuation in European architecture, the European Union and so on. But he would not understand my society, which is so fundamentally different from his.

Similarly, you would understand Qin Shihuang in principle by reading his documents (if you can read xiaozhuang; I can't), but you wouldn't be able to communicate orally; there is not a single word remaining in the same form since those days, and although some characters still have the same meaning, basically the entire language has been transformed to such an extent that you would have difficulties understanding him without some education. Of course, he would think you are a Martian, using queer Japanese words like 经济 and 独裁, and weird Shanghainese words like 垃圾 and 沙发. He would wonder what happened to all the final consonants in the language; perhaps he would find Cantonese being the most similar to his old tongue.

China, like Europe, has an ancient foundation in the ancient civliizations of Qin (Shang, Xia), and Rome respectively, but they are not still those old civlizations; they have evolved. Both have evolved in rather similar fashions, in a continuous manner.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-6 12:30:53 |Display all floors

Should you not allow me to conclude one post...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.