Author: hidenseek

What language do you speak to your partner in? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-9-22 11:16:40 |Display all floors
Originally posted by hearthome at 2006-9-21 22:08
i also met one problem.      Once a couple came to see me, i invited them for dinner. The wife is my former classmate, the husband is from the UK.  At the table, we talked a lot in englsh but somet ...

some ppl think it's a bit impolite to talk in the languages they dont understand cuz they might get paranoid about what you say. but he was sort of over reacted, after all there's no need to get mad.
- We don't dwell on the past, we remember it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-22 11:25:16 |Display all floors
its tough to translat4e from chinese to english..cos some of the chinese words i dont even know the meaning in chinese..
I don't know if I like you or love you, want you or need you, all I know is I love the feeling I get when I'm near you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-22 11:26:33 |Display all floors
I have trouble from english to Chinese or if you forget the capital then it's porceline go figure :)
There are no Ugly women , only those with low self esteem .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-22 11:28:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by hidenseek at 22-9-2006 11:05
Cheng
is your mandarin very standard?  since you also speak Cantonese?
what language do you speak to your parents?
do your parents both speak Putonghua?

:) I thought you know me already.

My parents are Hong Kongnese.
but Im born and grown up in the Netherlands. Also I studied 5 years mandarin in Holland + Shanghai and working in Shanghai for 1,5 years almost.
Thats why I speak: Dutch, English, Cantonese and Mandarin :)
well and some Shanghainese because living and working here + local gf

cheers

[ Last edited by auchengyu at 2006-9-22 11:30 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-22 11:31:25 |Display all floors

yes..and do you know me...

MUHAHAHHAAHHAHAHHAAHAHA

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-22 11:35:24 |Display all floors
Originally posted by theconfused at 2006-9-22 11:16

some ppl think it's a bit impolite to talk in the languages they dont understand cuz they might get paranoid about what you say. but he was sort of over reacted, after all there's no need to ge ...

Yes. i realized this , but still a bit hard sometimes when you talk to a Chinese in English, especailly about the old stories.  I will try to stwich between the two languagues trying to avoid this embarrassment.

I switch between Madarian and Cantonese.   Ppl feel interested in how ppl in Hong Kong switch from Catonese to Englis so flunctly and easily ........ this is called-- code-shifting..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-22 11:47:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by hearthome at 2006-9-21 22:35

Yes. i realized this , but still a bit hard sometimes when you talk to a Chinese in English, especailly about the old stories.  I will try to stwich between the two languagues trying to avoid t ...

i have a couple of shanghainese friends. we usually dont speak shanghainese when we hang out with other friends that dont know chinese or shanghainese. if I really have to do that, i try not to get myself too much attention and keep my voice down.
- We don't dwell on the past, we remember it.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.