Author: whitemandie

Western Media = Opium of the 21st Century [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-9-16 11:44:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by fgstsa1 at 2006-9-16 11:26
You can't seal the mouths of those reporters, and it's foolish to do that;  you can stop people from speaking out their views in whatever manner they feel proper and benificial to their interests;  ...

I am sure that Chinese people can surely tell the evil from the good!!!

Not really, western style -captialism and just started in China and their concept and understanding of racism and stereotypes of asian and chinese people are very child like comprehension and understanding

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-16 12:18:09 |Display all floors
Orientals have own criterions, and Occidentals have their criterions. Occidentals can't treat Oriental things by their criterions, but Orientals still must study many things from Occident.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-16 13:01:44 |Display all floors

how narrow-minded

it's always the more up-to-date culture that stands out and takes over, throughout history, because people go for what's right for them...and of course im NOT saying western's better. it's the values which are widely accepted by people worldwide today, such as freedom of speech and tolerance towards different values of others (which the author clearly didn't respect, esp by saying christianity is like plague)

this 'well thought piece' just reminds me of how the qing dynasty thought of china back then, worrying only about other countries' advanced weapons, without realising the real problem was their being backward.
JOIN THE BLACK PARADE.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-16 15:26:40 |Display all floors
Originally posted by whitemandie at 16-9-2006 03:41 AM
How is this a PERSONAL opinion? This is taken striaght from history unless you are convinced that opium was suppose to be good for china. This  historical anaylsis has been done before in regards to China.

how does personal experience make anything more valid or trurhful? personal experiences are antecdotal evidence and has no grounds on truth and factual anaylsis

No 1) is about people forming relationships in the 21st Century without being subjected to the prejudices of others.

You answer to 2) was a generalisation and doesn't show your specific personal experiences.

You didn't answer 3) about attitudes concerning this issue in China.

You quoted a post from a forum. I did not question or comment on the events of history, I stated that the analysis in the post was personal opinion. The compaison given was the individual view of the author. I never denied or confirmed anything about opium.

Personal experiences often given a reason or background to someone's views or beliefs. There are overseas Chinese who, for example, do not feel the same way as you. I am therefore curious as to why some support the ideas and some do not.

People oten join groups, religions or societies if they agree with the views of them, ot if they have been affected by an event in their lives and seek a solution through joining.

Nobody before you has explained what exactly has happened in their own lives to support their view on this matter.

For example: have you received discrimination at work or during education? Have you felt discriminated when forming relationships or during day-to-day activities?

Do you feel that there is a problem with the attitudes of Chinese women overseas? However if you said that you were happily married then I would ask why question 1) and also what Chinese women choose to do bothers you.

I am from a European country where we perhaps do treat Asians differently.
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-16 17:33:24 |Display all floors
Originally posted by babymomo at 2006-9-16 13:01
it's always the more up-to-date culture that stands out and takes over, throughout history, because people go for what's right for them...and of course im NOT saying western's better. it's the valu ...

You are a woman, but I think you can be an able woman. You have penetrating eyes. Maybe you have visited my website, and in the index of my site, there is such a words, "We want to surpass others, so we must communicate with others and understand them first."(The famous words of Xu Guangqi, a eximious scientist of Ming Dynasty)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-17 00:27:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by babymomo at 2006-9-16 13:01
it's always the more up-to-date culture that stands out and takes over, throughout history, because people go for what's right for them...and of course im NOT saying western's better. it's the valu ...

Obviously you been subjected to believeing that Christian faith is innocent and clean. The establishment of organized religions have been nothing more than a form of control for  poor, uneducated, mindless, hungry, and those who have personal suffage

You should read more history.

http://www.westmont.edu/~work/faq/evil.html

There are MANY discussions, debates, and written works on how vile Christianity is by philosophers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-17 00:36:17 |Display all floors
The Christians did some serious ar*e kicking during the Crusades although I think the last Pope did apologise for this.

I am not sure how well religion is spreading in China since religion is not something I need in my life and I therefore did not explore it in China.
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.