Author: fatty1219

which kongfu star do you like most? Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan or Jet Lee? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-9-20 21:11:04 |Display all floors

not in the same league?

Originally posted by chinaimport at 2006-9-20 06:25
He is great fighter but I will not put him in the same league as Jet Li and Jacky Chan yet.  He's acting skill is fair to say the least.

perhaps not in acting ability...

but in the ring, my money would be on Jaa...

enjoyable as kungfu is to watch, it's not the most effective form of martial arts... this was learned the hard way by the top kungfu stylists from hong kong when they tested their skills against muay thai fighters at a tournament in bangkok, 1974... they were all knocked out in the first round...

the results were the same when in 1977 karate fighters representing the USA, japan, south korea and europe flew into bangkok... they all got smashed by the thai fighters...

muay thai has consistently conquered other striking arts

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-21 04:07:43 |Display all floors

Kung Fu VS Muay Thai

Originally posted by otis22 at 2006-9-20 21:11

perhaps not in acting ability...

but in the ring, my money would be on Jaa...

enjoyable as kungfu is to watch, it's not the most effective form of martial arts... this was learned the har ...

Hi, this tournament you mentioned is very much alluded to in Martial Art circles as proof of Kung fu's apparent ineffectiveness in actual fighting. But I heard that the Muay thai boxers back in 1974 were seasoned full-time fighters while the Kung fu competitors from Hong Kong were more or less part-time practitioners. I even read a Martial Art magazine sometime back that a visitor to the Kung fu school prior to the second tournament (Because, as you may know, the Muay Thai boxers knocked out the Kung Fighters on two separate occasions) reported that instead of practising, they were playing cards. Also remember, Bruce Lee defeated in real life, a top exponent of Thai Kick-Boxing - name Chachai (when he was shoting the Big boss). But then again, you may argue Bruce Lee isn't an orthodox Kung fu fighter.

Basically, I reckon with adequate traditional kung fu training, with the appropriate seasoning and conditioning of limbs, Kung fu is more than a match for Muay Thai. Doing Kung fu two days a week for 3 hours after work isn't a serious or true attempt at the art! And confining Kung Fu to a ring does work to the advantage of other fighting styles which were developed as sports.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-21 11:18:21 |Display all floors

Funny how both movie are coming out in the US

Both Fearless (Jet Li) and Tony Jaa's movie is coming up in America.  I only saw Fearless,  and  I am very interested  in which is the bigger box office draw.   My bet is still on   Fearless.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-21 21:39:52 |Display all floors

hi there...

Originally posted by aikun9372 at 2006-9-21 04:07

But I heard that the Muay thai boxers back in 1974 were seasoned full-time fighters while the Kung fu competitors from Hong Kong were more or less part-time practitioners. I even read a Martial Art magazine sometime back that a visitor to the Kung fu school prior to the second tournament (Because, as you may know, the Muay Thai boxers knocked out the Kung Fighters on two separate occasions) reported that instead of practising, they were playing cards.

l was expecting dissent

l'm afraid this just sounds like people trying to come up with excuses... as far as l know, the competitors from hong kong were among the best in their respective styles.

Also remember, Bruce Lee defeated in real life, a top exponent of Thai Kick-Boxing - name Chachai (when he was shoting the Big boss). But then again, you may argue Bruce Lee isn't an orthodox Kung fu fighter.

l most certainly would argue that...

Basically, I reckon with adequate traditional kung fu training, with the appropriate seasoning and conditioning of limbs, Kung fu is more than a match for Muay Thai. Doing Kung fu two days a week for 3 hours after work isn't a serious or true attempt at the art! And confining Kung Fu to a ring does work to the advantage of other fighting styles which were developed as sports.

in my opinion, traditional kungfu training focuses too much time on perfecting highly stylised (and some would say unnecessarily fancy) moves. this and the lack of emphasis placed on sparring, leaves kungfu fighters with a clear disadvantage in the ring, or on the street.

muay thai on the other hand is more simplistic in style, only using the most effective strikes. this and the emphasis placed on sparring, gives muay thai fighters a clear advantage in the ring.

me thinks it's time for a new tournament...
knee1.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-22 15:27:30 |Display all floors
very hard to compare styles competition-wise.
there is too many factors to consider, not to mention who in any case has the right to represent a style.
Competition fighting most often depends on the rules and the winner may end up being the individual who is knocked out in consideration of those points. What is very interesting is when a competition is run as per gladiator rules. In that you can only achieve points per your exclusive technique, the true masters in such do not need to go for quick knockouts etc....they are there to prove technique and control other-wise by pass all styles and go straight to Military counter insurgency training etc.

Personally. i have found the hardest opponents Vs Kung fu is in fact Jujitsu. They can wrap ya up like a Boa if you allow even the sligtest mistake...the assault compounds rather than momentarily stalls ( even for that split second ) as per time in kicking/punching

The true "great fighters" seem to combine styles to suit thier taste...and in fair consideration....thats hard work but they can tailor thier efficiency to reach thier personal goal thus.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-19 04:13:56 |Display all floors
I grew up watching and rewatching Jackie Chan's movies (haven't kept up to date with the Hollywood syle ones) so he's my favourite. he's the first one to use comedy in his stories/fighting scenes that appeal to everyone. Bruce and Jet are more serious.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-27 00:14:43 |Display all floors

sifu LEE but of course...

Originally posted by fatty1219 at 2006-9-12 02:04 AM
which kongfu star do you like most? Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan or Jet Lee?

greetings!  i like all three of them but to answer your question correctly i have to pick BRUCE LEE.  without sifu LEE no one will know what kungfu is or chinese martial arts (back in the late 60's...americans only aware of karate from japan & that was it...nothing really about chinese's martial arts) .  and just to prove my point the city mostar, bosnia has adopted the statue of mister LEE...his wife, linda has attended the ceremony.  again, without sifu LEE, no one would care about chinese's culture, souvernirs (clothing, kungfu shoes, 武術 wushu, etc...) .  we all should pay a tribute to mister LEE lifetime achievement.  take care & baibai!   peter  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.