Author: miaomiaohedy

Does China really has rock music? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-10-3 17:28:41 |Display all floors
From my experience, I find that chinese rock music isn't anywhere as hard as western rock music. There's nothing in the way that comes anywhere closes to thrash metal, death metal or even just  metal. Unless proven otherwise, non of it compares to the likes of Ozzy Osbourne, Nine Inch Nails, Exodus or even Marilyn Manson.

The majority of Chinese rock has it's root clearly embedded in pop music.

[ Last edited by ultraneo at 2006-10-3 05:34 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-8 12:33:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by enlighten at 2006-9-14 10:28
Is it ridiculous that Cui Jian is still standing in the center stage of China's Rock 'n' Roll scene?
how could he keep "anger" and "rebellion" after 20 years?

He is at the center stage for both political and commercial reasons. 30 years ago almost anything but officially approved music was banned, including both the very old and the very new music (because of Jiang Qing's cultural terror). Then things loosened up and the stuff from Taiwan and Hongkong came in through tapes (radio didn't play it, although many in Guangdong could direct their antennas toward Hongkong when the police wasn't around). The stuff that came was Gangtai (港台), pop music of a certain Chinese taste from outside the mainland. One of the stars was (and still is) Deng Lijun, so China at the time had both the Big Deng and the Little Deng.

Gangtai was initially considered "half-official" by the authorities, meaning they neither endorsed nor condoned it, realizing it was commercially viable and a source of joy for the people. Many thought it was "Western poison", however.

Gangtai was then copied, both as in covered by others and as in people imitating its style. Genuine mainland pop had to wait for a while, and it came in the 1980s, especially around 1986, when both rock (yaogunyue, 摇滚乐) and "Northwest wind" (Xibeifeng, 西北风) began to spread rapidly. Most people can't hear the difference, but Northwest Wind has more folk music to it, using indigenous instruments and stuff. But Cui Jian also uses such instruments, although his music is clearly rock in its root elements.

There was really nothing against the further spread of rock at that stage, but its popularity coincided with the events a few years later, and some people thought there was a connection between the freedom loving music form, which is also violent in its appearance, and those events (and there is, but not in the direct sense they thought). So it was decided rock music should be held back for the softer Gangtai love music, through sticks and carrots. Cui Jian himself has repeatedly said he is not in for politics, but he was impeded anyway (lights could "mysteriously" go out during concerts and so on).

Therefore rock hasn't had a natural freeway to evolve on, and therefore Cui Jian is still at center stage, because he is genuine; he is doing what he likes and couldn't really change style just because someone else wants it. That is the true rebel nature of rock music, to be true to one's ideals and stand up when it is blowing hard.

So when I see this extremely beautiful China Daily e-zine NI HAO, I am glad that Cui Jian is kinda officially endorsed by a powerful media outlet like China Daily, and I suddenly realize that the freeway that rock needs has most likely been opened up.

China has a lot of good rock musicians in the background; you often hear those great guitarists and drummers in the background of regular gangtai music, where they can let off some riffs inbetween. If they now have enough leeway, new bands can grow explosively, and the youth (and older chaps like me) can enjoy some genuine modern Mainland music. (The old people only need to know that it is big business, and that big biz is good for China; they don't have to like the music).

Oh, and Cui Jian is still at center stage because he is a really good musician.
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-8 12:43:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ultraneo at 2006-10-3 17:28
From my experience, I find that chinese rock music isn't anywhere as hard as western rock music. There's nothing in the way that comes anywhere closes to thrash metal, death metal or even just  metal. Unless proven otherwise, non of it compares to the likes of Ozzy Osbourne, Nine Inch Nails, Exodus or even Marilyn Manson.

The majority of Chinese rock has it's root clearly embedded in pop music.

There is rock, hard rock, heavy metal, speed metal and thrash metal (etc). Rock is the basis of them all, and it isn't necessarily "hard" (or even fast). Rock is just a musical style, 4/4, heavy syncopation and usually based in guitars, a bass and drums. But rock could also be ballads, like Led Zeppelin's eternal Stairways To Heaven. Mostly, though, it is what we associate with oldies like Deep Purple (Whitesnake, Rainbow) and Jimi Hendrix, and later on Nirvana and Stone Temple Pilots (yes, grunge is just rock music).

You can hear some good rock in Chinese stars like Zhangh Huimei (Taiwan) and Mo Wenwei (Hongkong). Taozi (Tao Jingying, Taiwan) also has some rock elements from time to time. It is not metal, but rock (like Zhang Huimei's 瞬间 or 爱什么希罕). It is no coincidence that Zhang Huimei has made a lot of covers of Cui Jian, for instance 一无所有; she is really a good rock singer.

Rock in the west is dead, for commercial reasons. It died with Curt Cobain in the nineties. The new monster rock is just garbage; they have no ideals, no attitude, no music; they are just dancing deodorants trying to be tough guys.

I am waiting for rock to appear from the dead. Maybe it will reemerge in China, of all places!?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-8 13:41:25 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chiaike at 2006-9-14 11:52
China does have rock music! though the real rock music only exists underground.

do people here know Secondhand Rose? it a errenzhuan and rock mix. i like it!

Didn't before, but found a few tunes on Baidu, among which this 采花 ( http://www.chinahyjh.net/photo/ch.mp3 ) made me laugh like I haven't since I first heard Cai Yilin's 骑士精神.

It is intended to be a bit comical, but the fusion of traditional Chinese music and rock is a winning concept, I think.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-19 15:49:02 |Display all floors
good

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-30 16:17:50 |Display all floors

i love BEYOND and XUWEI...........yeah.very much i like

try to know everything of something and something of everything~that is perfect.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-10 13:12:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wenwuzhizhi at 2006-9-15 11:19
Donnot focus on the point of the boundaries of the country. Music without border, rock san frontiers!!
I like rock&roll, u don't know what that means to me~~~

so do i, pity is i can not create my own music

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.