Author: flowerlily

We lack an outstanding symbol for our culture! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-24 03:48:24 |Display all floors

Hmmm...

You have a good point. At my university graduation ceremony in the UK, I saw two east asian ladies wearing their beautiful hanboks (presumably Korean parents) then on my sister's graduation I saw a Japanese lady in traditional kimono. Also saw a Jamaican with the fruit hat! All other people including Chinese people wore the same as their western counterparts, namely the high-heels, long skirt and blazer, which is in my opinion is fine but perhap a little too normal. My belief is that Chinese people don't attach much importance in tangible culture compared to their neighbours and are affraid to be different. I think the qipao is okay but maybe look a bit informal as it's too revealing round the thighs. Maybe there are other qibaos?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-14 06:30:07 |Display all floors
the qipao is sexy, but hanfu looks elegant, classy and graceful. Qipao is derived from hanfu by adopting certain western factors into the dress, so I believe the hanfu is the true traditional clothing

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-19 01:34:35 |Display all floors
The most important symbol of a culture is its character. That's why Confucius is so respected in the West. Unlike clothing, which is superficial and limited to a particular ethnic community, the teachings of Confucius deal with the character of man. That's also why his words are translated into many languages. We can find his words in many bookshops in the West. In fact, many of his teachings are so universal that if we should quote them without revealing the source, a Westerner unfamiliar with Confucius can't even tell whether the author of those words is an Easterner or a Westerner.

Few men in history have been able to transcend culture to such a degree. Confucius is among the few who've managed to become a part not of national culture, but of world culture. His words are studies with devotion not only in China, but also extensively in Japan, Korea, Vietnam, and elsewhere, and read with admiration the world over.
四海之内皆兄弟
-孔子

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.