Author: mike619

China: multiculturalism or monoculturalism? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-9-11 14:56:25 |Display all floors
Historically, China was a multiculture country, and still is. this is not a valid question.

[ Last edited by luf2004 at 2006-9-11 03:02 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-11 23:12:04 |Display all floors
I think China is a country which has its own charecteristics.
culture~it depends on your view of life and the world,I think

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-11 23:15:09 |Display all floors
Originally posted by yanjiaren at 2006-9-7 03:56
now i am aYan jia ren..can i come to China one day?
communism is a western jewish import..so is the right wing party..
can China modify it's political structure to make it more chinese?

i woul ...

I am sure it will.
China will maintain its specialties.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-14 10:56:45 |Display all floors
Nah China is no way a monocultural country within itself. and racism DOES exist, in either sense.
JOIN THE BLACK PARADE.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-14 12:59:01 |Display all floors

culture defined

I don't think there's such a thing as "mono-culturalism" -- certainly not within a country the size of China.  Culture is much more than ethnicity or nationality -- it encompasses one's worldview,  one's language, one's customs (food, clothing, dance, music, etc.), one's faith and mythology, and so forth.

China is already very diverse in all of these areas.  Even the so-called "Han" Chinese vary greatly in their culture from province to province, even within provinces.

There was a book written a number of years ago, about China, entitled, "A Million Truths," with the premise that one cannot ever really say -- "this is China."  

Now, as to whether China should accept mass immigration, my first thought would be "why?"  China doesn't need a labor force -- it already has it.  And, as has been pointed out, there's already too many people here.  The only immigrants China needs at this point are "foreign experts" in areas such as technology, and these people are already here, although still very much the minority.  China can (and does) send it's best and brightest overseas, with the idea that they can acquire valuable knowledge in their respective fields, and bring it back to China (the only problem is that they tend to stay overseas once they get there).   There's a few of us expats who've come here and stayed and enjoy the quirkeness of it all, but I just don't see people from other countries saying, "Oh, let's move to China!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-14 13:16:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by karenb at 2006-9-14 12:59
I don't think there's such a thing as "mono-culturalism" -- certainly not within a country the size of China.  Culture is much more than ethnicity or nationality -- it encompasses one's w ...

Hi Karenb - it is being a long tome no see!!!

On yr last paragraph, those who studied overseas are finally

"BOUGHT OVER eith by USD OR Pounds"!!!
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-14 13:17:15 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2006-9-14 08:26
The tragedy of being a Chinese is that it has always been self-centered, self-important, tyrannical bearded old men that dictated to their nation what is "Chinese culture" and who had to  ...

Cynical - MONO is the BEST & so far, so GOOD!!!
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.