Views: 12438|Replies: 26

China: multiculturalism or monoculturalism? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-9-6 13:42:11 |Display all floors
whats your opinion on China as she's opening up to the world, should it become multicultural or  monocultural state(exclude the minorities)?

i prefer China to stay as in a monocultural state for numerous reasons like more racial tension will occur and other conflicts but i would not mind few thousand foreigners.

[ Last edited by mike619 at 2006-9-6 01:44 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-6 14:05:20 |Display all floors

China cannot be "mono-cultural"!

This is silly question. China cannot by definition become mono-cultural.

Chinese from the south, the socalled Han Chinese, have as much cultural affinity to Manchus as differences. China cannot exclude minorities because we are all Chinese. To do so will create social instability and set the stage for Cina to be cut up into pieces. In the dark ages of predatory colonialism, that's what the colonial powers would have done, play one group of Chinese off against the other.

This excuse is also used by the secessionists in Taiwan.

In your write-up for your school report, you might like to compare our situation to the American southern secessionists which led to the American Civil War, on the basis that the south had a different economic modality and culture to that of the north.

You can argue with your teachers that different cultures tend to enrich one another. To fear any differences is to admit that you are inferior.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-6 14:50:52 |Display all floors
We get a lot of sub-cultures. So I tent to say China is a multi-culture country.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-6 16:02:10 |Display all floors

Not "sub-culture" at all!

None of the cultures of the diverse Chinese ethnic groups are "sub-cultures" as such.

A "sub-culture" is a distinct trend within a mainstream culture e.g. the hippie movement and Woodstock are American sub-cultures. That said, there is no negative connotation or suggestion of aberration to a "sub-culture". None at all until proven guilty.

We are all Chinese, whether we eat rice, or noodle or steamed buns. Szechuan enriches Guangdong just as much as Hong Kong enriches Shanghai and vice versa.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-7 02:41:50 |Display all floors

Reply #3 yynihao's post

im not talking about the minority culture as being multi-culture, im talking about should china accept mass foreign immigration or not.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-7 03:09:16 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mike619 at 6-9-2006 19:41
im not talking about the minority culture as being multi-culture, im talking about should china accept mass foreign immigration or not.

You have to be kidding, right? China's population is big enough already.

Well to be quite fair, in the future if/when China's population shrinks and it needs more workers, maybe then immigration would be a solution. But having mass immigration now would be insane!
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-7 03:56:07 |Display all floors

would you just cope with one more ren?

now i am aYan jia ren..can i come to China one day?
communism is a western jewish import..so is the right wing party..
can China modify it's political structure to make it more chinese?

i would love that..
i am nocking the ccp ..don't get me wrong..
what the people vote for and choose it is their right..

but just looking at your beautiful culture..and classical lit..i just would like to see more of it..

ai er qi

ni de xilaren pengyou

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.