Views: 5942|Replies: 17

cut the sexual chemistry on set with a knife [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-9-3 00:18:47 |Display all floors
George Clooney has apparently found himself a new broad. He is head over heels for Ellen Barkin. He is 45 and she's 52, so they are closer than age.

The couple met while shooting his new  movie "Oceans 13",  George can't get enough of that Barkin goodnessand, he has been telling friends he is "electrified" by newly-divorced Ellen.

A source said: "It's a match made in heaven. George has been a shoulder to cry on for Ellen - he's helping her get over the divorce.

"She fancies him like mad and you can cut the sexual chemistry on set with a knife.
"He is so different from her ex-husband, which she loves."

Their co-star Brad Pitt is said to have introduced girlfriend Angelina Jolie to Ellen and wants the couples to double-date.

George usually dates young meat, but once you go old you never go cold!

"you can cut the sexual chemistry on set with a knife" 如何翻成中文? 谢谢
Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish 求知若饥, 虚心若愚
www.youtube.com/watch?v=60cDHb-tvMA

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-3 02:38:20 |Display all floors
I don't know the chinese translation, but tell me if you think an english explanation might help.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-3 02:57:46 |Display all floors
yes,  freakyqi, I need your english explanation to the words.  thanks a lot

I guess they get clicked and have strong feelings for one another

however, I am not sure if  it  means that the romantic chemistry is so thick that it can be cut with a knife.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-3 07:47:09 |Display all floors
It sounds like you understand the meaning. Yes, they have sexual feelings for each other, and everyone can see!

cut the sexual chemistry on set with a knife.

The "set" is the stage, or where the actors act.
"sexual chemistry" is the feelings between them. Sometimes we just say "chemistry", for example:
How was your date?  -  Well, he was cute, and funny, but there was no chemistry. That could mean she would only like him as a friend, she didn't have that "feeling".

About two people working together: The chemistry between them is amazing. They seem to know what the other is thinking, they work very well together!

So sexual chemistry, is, well, they feel the urge to have sex with each other.

Cut it with a knife It means the feelings were so strong, it's like the feelings were in the air, so thick, everyone could see it. A common way to use it is if two people don't like each other: The tension in the room was so thick you could cut it with a knife.
Imagine the feelings are in the air betwen the people, thick like fog.

[ Last edited by freakyqi at 2006-9-3 07:51 AM ]
chemistry.jpg
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-3 08:25:45 |Display all floors
Love your artwork, freakyqi!

Obviously, feelings are usually intangible but here they are so "thick" you can cut them with a knife.

I'd say picture something so thick, like a paste, that you could cut it with a knife.

As freakyqi said, the phrase is usually used with tension but you see it used with other words:
    the irony is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

…the suspense can get so thick you can cut it with a knife…

The humidity is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

The fog is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

Wine so thick you can cut it with a knife. [An advertising slogan from a Yiddish radio jingle in 1933]

"There are some places in Greece where the yogurt is so thick you can cut it with a knife."
(Google is very handy sometimes. :) )

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-3 09:16:10 |Display all floors
Thanks a billion, freakyqi and jeff_in_sf  you are such great teachers

I really appreciate that you guys dumbed the words down for me with the nice illustration and lively examples

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-3 09:54:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by bxwz2004 at 2006-9-2 05:16 PM
I really appreciate that you guys dumbed the words down for me with the nice illustration and lively examples
Ordinarily I wouldn't speak for freakyqi but I think it's safe to say that neither she nor I would regard what we said as "dumbed down."

We merely tried to explain the term as best we could and you, of course, understood it instantly! All the credit goes to you!

Thanks for the compliment! :) Glad we could help!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.